What's new
What's new

What to check on used Haas mini mill

Holke F11V

Plastic
Hi i'm looking at a 2001 Haas mini mill at an auction from a technical school and wondering what i should be checking when im there. This machine will hopefully be an upgrade from my Tormach 770. Any idea what a machine like this is worth, they seem to be all over the board. Are the controls from these years reliable? Also, were the spindles all 6000 rpm in those years or were some of them 4000 rpm. Thanks for any and all help and insights.fi1.cgi.jpg

Right off the bat I noticed some knob jockey decided to put a belt sander right beside the control. That would have me looking at how much metallic dust made its way into the control and cabinet.

The Haas TM, OM and MM had 6k spindles but the machines without the enclosure where set to max out at 4k. As far as that model of control? Its is my favorite of the Haas. The NGC's just have too many functions to get around to for basic stuff. You can get a USB upgrade and you're good to go.

Check the options page and get the serial and ask about service work. This being a school machine I doubt the hours are very high but never hurts to look.

Open up the large control cabinet and see how clean it is inside there. It won't tell you anything "directly", but the Vector drives are a bit prone to problems if they get years of dust/dirt/oil/coolant-mist inside there.

Might not hurt to slap an indictor on the spindle nose and sweep the table... it will at least give you an idea if the machine has ever taken a hard hit (not uncommon in a school environment).

Also... if the original documentation comes with the machine, there should be a few sheets in the back that could show if any additional options were turned on in the control at the time of purchase (e.g. rigid tapping, look-ahead, spindle-orientation, etc.). Even though the machine is 18 years old, Haas will typically NOT cut a deal at all if you're looking to turn on an option on an old machine.

PM

Thanks for the replies i’ll definitely look over the things mentioned. How do I get the control to show the hours? Also any idea what this machine is worth?

you'll need to get into debug mode to see the true hours on the control. Setting 7 (parameter lock) to off, go to ALARM page, type "DEBUG" then hit WRITE.

Back