What's new
What's new

what do you do with the crumbly shit from the covers?

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
the "damping" foam that is on the vf- head's sheet-metal pans has turned to a crumbly goo.
what have you used to replace it? has to be bad... full of oil-mist and grit, and inside the internals
of the machine... the machine is already a BIG BASS DRUM , and i'm tired of taking the covers off .

what can i use to damp the loud-ass schoolbus ?

how about the stuff custom/hot rod car guys use,can't think of the name at the moment. Thin self stick and foil covered. Speedway Motors etc. should have it.
ON edit ! Dyna Mat is one brand. A friend of mine said try car audio shops as the use a similar product but cheaper.

The car audio option promising good but McMaster has a whole range of adhesive backed foams and some of these may be more oil resistant than others which would help here.

My haas tm-1 has no acoustic damping anywhere! (Big drum!)

I went to the car audio shop and got a decent quality stuff. It was rectangular shaped, 12x24 ish. A 1/8" thick tar like adhesive with a thick aluminum foil on one side.
It worked very very well to kill tin ringing, insanely sticky applied with a heat gun.

Was a little expensive but I got them down 40% telling them it was for industrial application. Lol

I run in a house garage so every decibel killed it great!

sorted it out with some of the wife's 3/8" hard yoga mats and contact cement (free) . it will
eventually fail ... ok. the car soundproofing stuff was insanely expensive , and very thin . at this age of the
mill, i'll be taking the pans off at least once every two years.... no big deal.

Back