What's new
What's new

What year did Haas switch out to brushless AC drive? 96 or 97?

gsondubs

Plastic
Hello guys

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer. I'm looking to purchase a 1996 VF0 and I am not certain if this machine has brushless AC drive or not? Can anyone charm in?

Thanks in advance.

It just depends. Some 95 machines had them. Most in 96. The VF0 is the bottom of the food chain, so it may have been later. It's not hard to tell. The brushless machines have huge stickers all over them saying "700 IPM" and "Brushless".

I always thought it was when the spindle sheet metal went from square corner to rounded. Seems some people in the know don't think that is specific enough.
?

I always thought it was when the spindle sheet metal went from square corner to rounded. Seems some people in the know don't think that is specific enough.
?

Not on my VF-3. It has brushless motors and square guards.

At the time of the switch what are the advantages of one over the other.
No brushes to replace but you only do that once every 10 years.
Higher rapids on a brushless then but less velocity control at very low speeds from cogging. The control loops were so very different back then.
Today it is a new world but during the change both DC and AC brushless were kind of oversold on rapids not real work.
I'm just old, like the linearity of the old brush systems, do not have to put 2-4 notch filters in the deal and a handful of gain breaks.
Should I say I also love linears with all their problems but crazy huge go fast now.

Do you want brushless as a fad, cost of replacement parts, performance or cycle time?
One master thing counts and that is shipping parts out the door.
You make money on invoices, many do well with not the best machines so perhaps your worry is misplaced.
Bob

Haas used Yaskawa brushless motors. IMO they are some of the most reliable out there. I don't know who made the brushed motors.

Its pretty easy to tell, look at your Z axis servo... Round and tall is brushed, Square and short is brushless. Itll say YASKAWA AC MOTOR on the tag if its brushless. They used these exact motors from 96 to probably 2006

Back