What's new
What's new

Worn way or ball screw in X?

clayton

Aluminum
I’ve been chasing a problem with the surface of parts from face mills having issues in the same spot in the travel in X. No matter what material, feed speed doc, tried 3 different aluminum specific tools and different batches of material.

My vise is positioned pretty far left on the table. And this area with the issue shown in the pic is 6.5” from max travel in -X to the spindle centerline. Again I’ve fed from both directions across part. Same affect. Vise is tight. Squaring stock, or cutting extrusion as is made no difference. Parallels are firmly seated, not loose.

Has anyone had an issue like this?

Machine is a 2009 VF2

467749e8acbc5a9e3bf70710686d8954.jpg

After further investigation and testing I got good results but seem to have identified the problem. I pulled the way covers and it doesn’t look good. Seems not to be getting any lube. And there are bearings laying there...
370947d7052260f3c7c3c61f311f09d5.jpg
5709d54e154dc2171a171fb4994717bc.jpg
c15927b4005ef7ae8a77bc30aa943cb4.jpg
fec3f1789287b0b6cd69461f3d040f9c.jpg

Are the bearings from the ball screw or one of the linear guide trucks? Either way it looks as if you got a bit of work ahead of you. Once you get the bad part replaced, be sure to flush the entire lube system. Most likely the metering units have become clogged. Sludge can form in the bottom of the way lube tank and can contaminate the system.

Good luck on the repairs.

With it being consistent in location, I'd think it's a section of the ballscrew thread that's damaged, leading to the bad finish. If it was the trucks that lost contact in the middle, you'd still have the two outer sets controlling the table, while the ballscrew nut is short enough that if it hits a bad section of the screw there's nothing else in contact.

Sucks that you've got so much damage with such a "young" machine.

So the haas tech checked everything but didnt pull back covers.:nutter:
No offence to you but I thought it was a mystery problem not obvious mechanical failure. Id contact HAAS for a refund on the callout costs

Back