What's new
What's new

X vs Y cut finish

friesen

Cast Iron
Any ideas what to look at first for cut differences between the X and Y?

The attached photos were spring passed at 9500RPM / 100IPM with a 1/2" HTC 3 flute carbide tool. The cut sounds exactly the same. Cut length is 1".

Machine is a 96vf2 with rebuilt Y ballscrew, and I reballed the x and y trucks a couple years ago.

Y-cut.jpg

X-cut.jpg

agreed loose thrust bearings will do that. also check your 12vdc logic voltage to the drivers. 12+ should be 12.25vdc or it can cause an axis to have harmonics while feeding.

As to the voltage, why would that be? This is the updated control, its not the 96 vintage.

1st off you never stated what control , you simply said a 1996 vf2. second the control depending on how the drivers are powered may have zero to do with the voltage I asked you to check. why don't you take a picture of inside your power cabinet, and including the axis drivers. this way we have a better idea what you have. otherwise we can't give you the information directly related to your machine.

Any ideas what to look at first for cut differences between the X and Y?

The attached photos were spring passed at 9500RPM / 100IPM with a 1/2" HTC 3 flute carbide tool. The cut sounds exactly the same. Cut length is 1".

Machine is a 96vf2 with rebuilt Y ballscrew, and I reballed the x and y trucks a couple years ago.

View attachment 271709

View attachment 271708

could be as simple as part and or fixture vibrate more in one direction than another. slides often slip stick slip stick. way oil or ability to move smoothly can vary depending on slide design. turcite often used cause movement usually is smoother, less vibration especially if turcite slightly compressed. if slide is metal on metal with some clearance it will act different
some slides like 4 legged chair with one leg short. chair sits on 3 legs but it can tilt back and forth as one leg goes up as other leg goes down
servo could be oscillating or need tuning, basically actual feed is not consistent

IMG_20191207_090221462.jpgIMG_20191207_090234013.jpg

I'm just trying to follow where in the chain those voltages can matter, not doubting its possible.

Basically the servo drives are non smart, all they do is take a signal from the control board. Perhaps the older motherboards are more sensitive to the 12v levels?

you will just have to trust a haas tech on this 1 lol. those voltages are used in the driver's response circuit. if there low they will chatter like you wouldn't believe. also you have the old style cable they had tons of issues with those. pull those connectors and look to see if there is any arc Mark's on the pins. clean them with light sandpaper. and check those voltages!

you will just have to trust a haas tech on this 1 lol. those voltages are used in the driver's response circuit. if there low they will chatter like you wouldn't believe. also you have the old style cable they had tons of issues with those. pull those connectors and look to see if there is any arc Mark's on the pins. clean them with light sandpaper. and check those voltages!

Hoss710, I notice his drives dont have that weird little board that my 98 had originally (not connected to my new style drives).
Is it possibly part of his problem?

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

that board is on very few machines. it's when you have the newer drivers that create there own 12.25 vdc thru the 340 vdc incoming voltage internally. his setup still requires the external 12.25 vdc from a secondary power supply.

Little pcb on the Haas VF servo drives

that board is on very few machines. it's when you have the newer drivers that create there own 12.25 vdc thru the 340 vdc incoming voltage internally. his setup still requires the external 12.25 vdc from a secondary power supply.

Now I am confused. The way I understood it was that little board is from the old style gold colored drives that were on my machine originally. I have the newer drives on my machine now and that board is still there, just NOT connected and not doing anything other than a power wire running to it. The (3) 12v wires hanging from it that were once connected to the old drives are just a flapping in the breeze.

the board pointed out is a dummy load for the power supply because in that machine the drivers have been upgraded to the newer style that creates it's own 12.25 vdc from the 340 vdc coming in the driver's. the old driver like you have required a external power supply to create that 12.25 vdc for the driver logic circuit.

could be your spindle also, its more noticable on alum then stainless or steels.

take a cut at 3500 rpms and a dry pass, then do the same thing at 9000 rpms and a dry pass. if there is a difference more than likely your spindle is on its way out.

lots of things will cause it, those look like pretty even pattern marks so I am guessing its spindle related not electronic.

Back