What's new
What's new

X2 4th axis units to make one 5th?

Stirling

Hot Rolled
can i take x2 4th axis rotorys and make a 5th axis with it?
stupid i know, but i have one and there are a few 5c units for super cheap right now, it would be fun to dabble with some plastic projects i have, but i wont have any paying work, hence not looking into a expensive trunnion
(yes i have 4th and 5h drives/software unlocked on my machine)

is this possible/ easy as plugging both in and bolt up/align properly?

Morning, sounds like a fun project!
We found that mostly true on the hardware side. We just ran up the cables, went into setup.. bing bang- spinning. We did need to get the firmware updated to run them both smoother and fix some bugs. Maybe check for any 4/5 bugs on your version that could cause damage. We have the 98 VF/4 w/ the TRT210.

Just some thoughts over coffee from our experience in gettin' going: Do you have DWO/TCPC? Or is this an older unit.
CAM and Simulation:
The post processer on our F360/Solidwords (both use HSM CAM from autodesk) needed to be 'configured'(modified) for the CAM to generate proper 4/5 code. Of course you can always hand code and I know you're more advanced that we are, but it was easier to play at first w/ the simulations. The kid build a full CAM model of the TRT into the HSM w/ the dimensions w/ his work-holding. COR set exact in the model etc. -All the stuff in his wheelhouse. (again, older unit, no DWP TCPC. ) And I told him, if he crashes it in a SIM; result is a red-box and pressing 'escape' -vs- maybe scraping the machine due to crash. And he would pay for the repairs. seemed to drive him to a full CAM sim setup for some reason :-)

Would love to see a pic if you get this the twins conjoined! I'll say this.. I love having 5. cannot see going back.

Morning, sounds like a fun project!
We found that mostly true on the hardware side. We just ran up the cables, went into setup.. bing bang- spinning. We did need to get the firmware updated to run them both smoother and fix some bugs. Maybe check for any 4/5 bugs on your version that could cause damage. We have the 98 VF/4 w/ the TRT210.

Just some thoughts over coffee from our experience in gettin' going: Do you have DWO/TCPC? Or is this an older unit.
CAM and Simulation:
The post processer on our F360/Solidwords (both use HSM CAM from autodesk) needed to be 'configured'(modified) for the CAM to generate proper 4/5 code. Of course you can always hand code and I know you're more advanced that we are, but it was easier to play at first w/ the simulations. The kid build a full CAM model of the TRT into the HSM w/ the dimensions w/ his work-holding. COR set exact in the model etc. -All the stuff in his wheelhouse. (again, older unit, no DWP TCPC. ) And I told him, if he crashes it in a SIM; result is a red-box and pressing 'escape' -vs- maybe scraping the machine due to crash. And he would pay for the repairs. seemed to drive him to a full CAM sim setup for some reason :-)

Would love to see a pic if you get this the twins conjoined! I'll say this.. I love having 5. cannot see going back.

my machine is a 2009, i dont think they offeres tpsc or such back then unfortunalty !

K... ping us on a PM if you want to zoom or chat about setting up Center of Rotation in all the CAM stuff. It's not that bad. There is a post here in this forum w/ a few videos from a guy who wrote a program that is a leaping off point for some of us w/o the 5 axis machine utilities. Let me try to find that. I always thought it was something we could develop for us older Haas OS owners. I know on the MasterCam forums there are also guys that have some basic docs and flow diagrams for Macro type DWO/TCPC (tool center point control) operation and calculations. I just never have any time w/ the day job and repairs. going to dig that post out again.

so the cam/macro calls essentially emulate DWO/TCPC? that would be some kinda handy, eben on th new machines it is a pricy option! m y5th axis wants are only for hobby/love to learn uses, maybe one day a paying job. all of my current work is very happy 2 axis lathe/3 axism mill work, just starting to intigrate a 4th into workflows on the sampe products to het more walk away time/hit more sides

Back