X2 4th axis units to make one 5th?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default X2 4th axis units to make one 5th?

can i take x2 4th axis rotorys and make a 5th axis with it?
    stupid i know, but i have one and there are a few 5c units for super cheap right now, it would be fun to dabble with some plastic projects i have, but i wont have any paying work, hence not looking into a expensive trunnion
    (yes i have 4th and 5h drives/software unlocked on my machine)

is this possible/ easy as plugging both in and bolt up/align properly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Morning, sounds like a fun project!
    We found that mostly true on the hardware side. We just ran up the cables, went into setup.. bing bang- spinning. We did need to get the firmware updated to run them both smoother and fix some bugs. Maybe check for any 4/5 bugs on your version that could cause damage. We have the 98 VF/4 w/ the TRT210.

Just some thoughts over coffee from our experience in gettin' going: Do you have DWO/TCPC? Or is this an older unit.
    CAM and Simulation:
    The post processer on our F360/Solidwords (both use HSM CAM from autodesk) needed to be 'configured'(modified) for the CAM to generate proper 4/5 code. Of course you can always hand code and I know you're more advanced that we are, but it was easier to play at first w/ the simulations. The kid build a full CAM model of the TRT into the HSM w/ the dimensions w/ his work-holding. COR set exact in the model etc. -All the stuff in his wheelhouse. (again, older unit, no DWP TCPC. ) And I told him, if he crashes it in a SIM; result is a red-box and pressing 'escape' -vs- maybe scraping the machine due to crash. And he would pay for the repairs. seemed to drive him to a full CAM sim setup for some reason :-)

Would love to see a pic if you get this the twins conjoined! I'll say this.. I love having 5. cannot see going back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this is a video I came across of a 5C mounted to a Hrt210. Only trick is to get the A/B centerlines on the same plane.

impeller - YouTube

4. Likes countryguy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    Only trick is to get the A/B centerlines on the same plane.
    A quality post processor can account for a misalignment so long as you can measure it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    Morning, sounds like a fun project!
    We found that mostly true on the hardware side. We just ran up the cables, went into setup.. bing bang- spinning. We did need to get the firmware updated to run them both smoother and fix some bugs. Maybe check for any 4/5 bugs on your version that could cause damage. We have the 98 VF/4 w/ the TRT210.

Just some thoughts over coffee from our experience in gettin' going: Do you have DWO/TCPC? Or is this an older unit.
    CAM and Simulation:
    The post processer on our F360/Solidwords (both use HSM CAM from autodesk) needed to be 'configured'(modified) for the CAM to generate proper 4/5 code. Of course you can always hand code and I know you're more advanced that we are, but it was easier to play at first w/ the simulations. The kid build a full CAM model of the TRT into the HSM w/ the dimensions w/ his work-holding. COR set exact in the model etc. -All the stuff in his wheelhouse. (again, older unit, no DWP TCPC. ) And I told him, if he crashes it in a SIM; result is a red-box and pressing 'escape' -vs- maybe scraping the machine due to crash. And he would pay for the repairs. seemed to drive him to a full CAM sim setup for some reason :-)

Would love to see a pic if you get this the twins conjoined! I'll say this.. I love having 5. cannot see going back.
    my machine is a 2009, i dont think they offeres tpsc or such back then unfortunalty !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

K... ping us on a PM if you want to zoom or chat about setting up Center of Rotation in all the CAM stuff. It's not that bad. There is a post here in this forum w/ a few videos from a guy who wrote a program that is a leaping off point for some of us w/o the 5 axis machine utilities. Let me try to find that. I always thought it was something we could develop for us older Haas OS owners. I know on the MasterCam forums there are also guys that have some basic docs and flow diagrams for Macro type DWO/TCPC (tool center point control) operation and calculations. I just never have any time w/ the day job and repairs. going to dig that post out again.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling View Post
    my machine is a 2009, i dont think they offeres tpsc or such back then unfortunalty !
    Nope, 2016 or newer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so the cam/macro calls essentially emulate DWO/TCPC? that would be some kinda handy, eben on th new machines it is a pricy option! m y5th axis wants are only for hobby/love to learn uses, maybe one day a paying job. all of my current work is very happy 2 axis lathe/3 axism mill work, just starting to intigrate a 4th into workflows on the sampe products to het more walk away time/hit more sides

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Found it.. Here is the post.
    DWO Macro for 4th axis

Some good info in here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

printed the whole thread off, ha!
    ill play with it sometime. thanks too bad it does not to tool point center control too!

12. Likes countryguy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you're interested, we have a used TRT160 could let go for pretty cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I need to do the same... Print and read and think. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling View Post
    printed the whole thread off, ha!
    ill play with it sometime. thanks too bad it does not to tool point center control too!