What's new

How to post an image on Practical Machinist

• Thread starter Admin5
  • Start date
  • Replies 196
  • Views 110,527
A

Admin5

To add an image within your message, first the image must be on the web somewhere (see seperate post regarding that) just encase the image URL address in
For example-

whatever

(Note the space between the word "whatever" and [/img] should not be there but is necessary to show the format without the example attempting to become an image itself ! When you type yours, leave out the space)

IMPORTANT- Please try and size your pictures as small as practical. It doesn't matter from a server standpoint on our end since the actual image is stored on a remote URL of your choice, but it does matter from a download time factor on every users end.

[This message has been edited by Admin5 (edited 10-05-2003).]

Here's another, more detailed take on posting images, posted from Paul Gauthier of this board.

========================================
Steps to take to post photos.
First, print this page, go ahead I’ll wait…………………...

Okay now that you have done that go to

www.photobucket .com and select “sign up free” and complete the registration form process. An e-mail activation message will be sent to you, follow the instructions to activate registration.
How are we doing so far??? Good ?? OK...

Now take out that nifty digital camera an snap a few photos. Windows contains a folder called “My pictures”, install your photos into this folder in whatever method you use. (i.e. card reader for digital camera card, scanner for prints, etc.)

Now it may get tricky so pay attention.

Go to photobucket and log in. When you get to photobucket home page “login” is in top right corner, once logged in your page will come up with your user name in the top center. Below that will be a tool bar that says “Add Album” enter your album name and click create. Now scroll down the page and your album name will be below. So far so good???

Below the tool bar that says “add album” is another tool box and a button called “browse” click on it.
This will bring up the “my documents” page from windows. Double click on “my pictures” you should now have your picture files in the window. Double Click on any file and you should now have your individual pictures from that file displayed.
Double click on any picture and this window then closes, but a link to that picture has been created and is now in the box that is beneath “add picture”. Below you will see the button “Submit” click upon said button and in seconds you will have added the pic to your album. Scroll down to see your pic. Above your pic will be three buttons, “move” “edit” “delete”. Select “edit”, now scroll down till you see “resize picture”. 50% will already be selected, if not, select it. Now click on “resize”. At this time you can resize any other pictures you wish to use. NOTE: Resizing only applies if you wish to add picture directly into post.

Now comes the easy part.

You can do two things here. You can add a pic directly to your post on the message board or you can just insert the link into your post.
Beneath your pic will be two links. One labeled “url” and one labeled “img”

To insert link… Left click to place cursor in the link and then hit "control" "a" this will hightlight the link.Now place your cursor on the highlighted url and right click to open a selection window. Click on “copy’.

Don’t give up now we are almost home.

Your must now return to your post at the message board. Place your cursor in your post and right click to open selection window and click on “paste” Presto your link is there and when you submit your post it will be a hot link.

To add a picture into your post……….

Paste the link you copied from photobucket into your post then surround it with
example"

As I wrote this I was performing each procedure as I explained it, henceforth it should work, if not feel free to e-mail me or post a note on the board. I realize this explanation may make this process seem long but after you do it a few times it will be so quick you won’t realize your doing it.

This works when posting pics from photobucket, don't know if it will work when posting pics from other links posted in this thread. That may be a different procedure.

Good Luck

The End.

[ 09-24-2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Admin5 ]

ing] on the end should be
.I got pretty frustrated untill I reread the earlier post.Might want to correct the m for the n for us computer challenged folks.Don't take this as criticism as I am greatfull to have the step by step posting instructions and it is simple once you do it a couple of times. Thanks for everything on this board Jim

Those were Paul Gauthier's instructions and I'd not noticed that before...just fixed it...thanks for pointing that out.

"IMPORTANT- Please try and size your pictures as small as practical. It doesn't matter from a server standpoint on our end since the actual image is stored on a remote URL of your choice, but it does matter from a download time factor on every users end."

Sizing it to 3" wide usually works best for most monitors.

Admin5, many thanks for your instructions. Having gotten into cumputers late in life because I had to, every bit of help is needed. Went through it in a one step forward and two steps back, but finaly reversed the pace and got the picture into Photobucket. Then the fun really started. After several attempts and loosing my posting each time, the darn thing worked, but I don't know how. My major problem is I can't remember what was done and in what sequence. So be it, we will do it again and see if it works.

Regard & many thanks, Ed Miles

"My major problem is I can't remember what was done and in what sequence. So be it, we will do it again and see if it works."

Photobucket has a 250 KB limit per image, and will automatically resize in order to fit within that limit, if possible, otherwise the download to its database will be rejected.

It is best to post JPEGs (or other supported formats) for display at a reasonably low resolution, and with a maximum width of 3".

Photoshop is usually the tool of choice for preparations for Photobucket downloading, but there are others.

I don't think I am a real dumb person, maybe not a computer smart person. although I have not been able to get the stinking photo -ucket to work for me. Hambone

I've just posted some pictures using our directions herre and got them onto my post (in the Caseneuve, Weiler, etc forum) but don't know how to 'size' them: can someone tell this inquiring mind how this is done?

Thanks.

I'm with 'Hambone' (on May 11th, just above) 'I don't think I am a real dumb person, maybe not a computer smart person.'

I never liked wide post that you have to scroll across to read or see ... and now I've gone and done it.

Northernsinger

photo shop and many other programs have a "save for the web" or something similar under the "file" tab at the top of the screen in windows.

the program will do all the work for you just follow what it say's

a good pixal count is about 400 wide by what ever the computer math's out for the height

I've just posted some pictures using our directions here and got them onto my post... but don't know how to 'size' them: can someone tell this inquiring mind how this is done?
In case you don't have Photoshop, or any of the other high-end image editors on your computer, you can use Windows' "Paint" program to re-size images. The program is usually found in the "Accessories" folder.

When you open Paint, click on File>Open, and then select the image you want to size. With the image loaded, click on Image>Stretch/Skew. Then, in the Stretch box, adjust the Horizontal and Vertical per-cent numbers to the desired amount of reduction. Be sure you keep both percentages the same, or your image will be distorted.

Here is a very good photo resizer for anyone that has MS WindowsXP. Down load the ImageResier.exe program. Once you install it you will see a "Resize Picture" option when you right click on your photo. I believe it can do multiple pix at once too. I does not hurt your regular pix but creates a duplicate copy of the resize image. Very handy for those that email a lot of pictures to family and friends etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Brent

I respectfully recommend that the maximum size for Avatars be placed in the FAQ section. But just what are the maximum size parameters for an Avatar for this board? 300x300 pixels? 480x480?

I'd like to create my own Avatar and I have no problems getting something in Photobucket to show up on the board.

And in case you were wondering, an Avatar is that small graphic/picture to the left of postings. You select/assign/provide a link to an Avatar in your profile.

Stan Db

the easiest way to post pictures here is to e.mail the pioture to yourself, then when you open it in your e.mail box, it will have a URL code. Just copy and paste that code into the space in your e.mail and WOW picture is there

detail

I am pretty certain that this system sucks.....Except everyone but me seems to be able to post pictures and have them show right in their post... ;)

I am doing EXACTLY what has been described above by the admin folks...

I will do my image practicing here so as to annoy with my feeble attempts... :D

Ted

Back