What's new
What's new

OT.-how to downsize pictures on computer screen

Markusfu

Stainless
Can anyone tell me how to make someone's pictures that are sent to me by computer smaller so they do not take so long to download and so I don't have to scroll over and down to see the entire picture. Any help would be appreciated.

PS -I have dial up

Markus

Markus,
You need to contact the senders and tell them to make the pictures lower quality/size to speed up downloads. They are probably ignorant but it is rude to send large attachments and they should be informed. There is nothing you can do on your end. It's like wanting to get smaller UPS packages. Only the sender has control of the box size.

You email program may have an option to not download messages over a certain size.

If you have a new enough version of IE, you can go to Tools --> Options --> Advanced and scroll down to Multimedia. There should be a check box to Enable Automatic Image Resizing. This will resize images to best fit in your IE windows but won't help with the file size. It can be disabled on any picture by hovering your mouse over the bottom right corner until an icon appears.

There is a decent free image resizer available call, I believe, irfanview. It doesn't hold a candle to photoshop but the price is right.

good luck

Until you download them only the senders can control the size. But after you get them you can do whatever you want. Irfanview is a popular free graphics editing program. Has a good resize feature.

If you're using Microsoft Office you also might have Photo Editor on your computer. It's a good little program and easy to use, although its resize can leave jaggies.

I just had to do this myself. open the picture in paint, Go to image-stretch skew and put in the percentage you want to shrink in heighth and width. then save the file. it will now be quite smaller.

I don't know what to tell you for the slow downloads, though. Tell the sender to resize, like these guys suggest.

Chris

Markus, I use Picasa2 to send pic by email, it automatically resizes for quick downloads. You will also be able to view them with this prog. It really works great.

bob

Back