What's new
What's new

Help getting email messages to work instead of PM

Glug

Hot Rolled
I understand you can send email messages instead of PM's here on the board. I have searched for the feature, both on the site and via google. I verified that email from members is enabled, and tried changing my email address in case there was an issue (I do get PM notifications via email).

Near as I can tell, the option should appear in the lower right side of the the box that pops up when you click a user ID. But it doesn't appear in the box, see below.

Any ideas? Thanks!

box.jpg

It only works if the particular member has elected to implement it.
That particular member has not, and he also doesn't do PMs, as it's impossible to keep up.

He does post it from time to time. Use Google search for "Milicron email" if that's who you're after...

(And fair warning, the first thing he'll tell you is to fix your location. USA is non-specific.)

Chip

Thanks for the reply, Chip. I had removed my location so I could ask a question about a machine that was for sale, without disclosing too much info. I had added the location info back, but only to the profile info section and not the public portion.

I should have used a different example, since I didn't know for certain that Milacron has it enabled. Monarchist mentioned last week that he has the email feature enabled, but the pop-up menu for his account also lacks that option.

Thanks for the reply, Chip. I had removed my location so I could ask a question about a machine that was for sale, without disclosing too much info. I had added the location info back, but only to the profile info section and not the public portion.

I should have used a different example, since I didn't know for certain that Milacron has it enabled. Monarchist mentioned last week that he has the email feature enabled, but the pop-up menu for his account also lacks that option.

I receive as well as send with it.

Wonder if it has to do with something in the profile of the person trying to access the feature for use, rather than in the profile at the destination?

Or perhaps BOTH sets of settings play a part?

Actually.. I should be able to test that. I don't post from my old identity, but should be able to send emails between old and new. Short of time just now. Perhaps later tonight.

UPDATE: Works for me, either direction, but... I have a server just retired, no longer have the "extra" address it served. PM will allow only ONE use of a given email address, no matter how many user ID. Ergo not as good a test - independent addresses - as I'd have preferred.

Page Two: The email OPTION, lower right corner if it is presented at all, does not always appear on the small pop-up when user handle is clicked, even if it will otherwise function.

The option should more reliably appear if one goes to the full page of that user's profile. Left column, second line under the avatar (if any).

Last edited:
Thanks for looking. No luck on the profile view either. Maybe I haven't yet made enough comments to warrant subjecting the denizens of PM with emails.

prof.mail.jpg

Back