What's new
What's new

How To Fix Lathe Backlash by replacing Crosslide Nut - is it the right method?

Stan Canada

Aluminum

This video shows how our guy Mike repaired our lathes with its backlash. He did it by replacing crosslide nut and total cleaning of the crosslide and taper attachment.

Well, that's the method I used to fix the backlash in my lathe and it works good with about .003-.004

In answer to your question, yes, it is a way. Backlash it not a catastrophic problem anyway, you can deal with it, but it is not reasonable to think that if wear is apparent at the nut, that it is not also present in the screw. Granted, most of the wear will be at the nut. Secondly, lead screw wear will not be linear along the length of the screw. After nut replacement alone will still leave backlash at the most used area of the lead screw. In the end , it's your call if that's OK.

In answer to your question, yes, it is a way. Backlash it not a catastrophic problem anyway, you can deal with it, but it is not reasonable to think that if wear is apparent at the nut, that it is not also present in the screw. Granted, most of the wear will be at the nut. Secondly, lead screw wear will not be linear along the length of the screw. After nut replacement alone will still leave backlash at the most used area of the lead screw. In the end , it's your call if that's OK.

I think thats a really good point with Phil as well, as the leadscrew might actually be not linear in terms of wear. I might have to double check mine.

Back