What's new
What's new

Lathe troubleshooting I NEED ADVICE

MadMick71

Plastic
Just started a new job, second project is currently machining flanges on a very old lathe; an MK Enterprise 1810
My boss has been at this outfit for 32 years and told me that this lathe was always here for as long as he can remember. I’ve not yet found a tag on it describing it’s age.
It appears to be a rugged set-up overall; the clutch packs appear to be set perfectly, stops on a dime; barely any backlash in the cross feed, compound is worn, kinda wobbly when loosened, but that’s not my immediate concern.

1) it sounds horrible when rotating
2) gutless af!!! I’m only machining medium carbon steel, it’s not some super hard alloy…should cut like butter…if I take anything deeper than 0.015” in any direction, it winds-down and stalls-out!!!

Can anyone help me figure out how to get this thing up and running like it should be?

Tool bit with a 1/8 radius along the side cutting edge is likely part of the problem. .. and the 1/8 HP motor is getting tired..the grease on the drive belts and the keyed shaft turning in the frozen bearing makes a lot of noise but doesn't help the chuck turning.

One solution would be to wait until ice-up and slide it half away across the lake.

I know..what if global warming caused the lake to not freeze up and we have to hire a tug boat to pull her off the dock.
In Ontario, it is a $100 fine for having a beer can on the ice..I don't know about Alberta's fine for leaving a lathe on the ice.

Someone will likely ask if the motor stalls, the motor continues and the chuck stops, or everything seems normal and then the operator falls off his chair.

This thread would get traction in a more appropriate section.

It bogs down and the motor continues running? The clutch is likely pooched or out of adjustment.

This thread would get traction in a more appropriate section.

It bogs down and the motor continues running? The clutch is likely pooched or out of adjustment.

RC Mech,
1) can you help me re-post this thread in a better place? I’m new here and not much of a computer guy 🤦*♂️

2) it bogs-down the motor as well—everything. I’m no lathe mechanic in the least, only ran one other lathe with clutches and my supervisor set them up while I jogged the rotation for him.
I have my doubts about the problem being the clutches though, but only because when I start the rotation, it’s instant. And the same when I stop the rotation…on a dime!
Maybe the electric motor is just simply tired-out. I’m not getting any real chatter but the spindle bearing sounds horrible when I engage rotation.

RC Mech,
1) can you help me re-post this thread in a better place? I’m new here and not much of a computer guy 🤦*♂️

2) it bogs-down the motor as well—everything. I’m no lathe mechanic in the least, only ran one other lathe with clutches and my supervisor set them up while I jogged the rotation for him.
I have my doubts about the problem being the clutches though, but only because when I start the rotation, it’s instant. And the same when I stop the rotation…on a dime!
Maybe the electric motor is just simply tired-out. I’m not getting any real chatter but the spindle bearing sounds horrible when I engage rotation.

That was weird…dunno where the male symbol or the star came from…WAS NOT INTENDED!!!

If nobody there knows anything about a lathe or about motors then a serviceman should be called in.
We don't even know the size of the machine so we can be little help.
QT:[if I take anything deeper than 0.015” in any direction, it winds-down and stalls-out!!!},

Sounds like it does not make enough parts to pay for its space.

QT:[ I’ve not yet found a tag on it describing it’s age.]
and by looking at it you cant tell, and mention its size.

Hey Buck,
You’re absolutely right. I’m guessing on an average, I’m completing about 1/3 of what I should be getting done in a day; I agree that it isn’t making enough parts to pay for it’s space…which is why I want to update/upgrade it. I’m the only machinist and no licensed journeyman certification on site. I went to college to be a machinist in 1990-91…couldn’t find a job, ended up heading west and roughnecking on a rig which turned into a 22-year career on the levers of all kinds of different drilling rigs—all over the world. Gave up drilling 4 years ago, got back into machining full time but still don’t actually have an active apprenticeship on the books yet. I feel I’m lucky to still have a job since this pandemic hit.
Near as I can tell, the lathe is anywhere between 40-50 years old. The outfit I work for has been neglecting it for 41 years now, and I think the boss implied that it was 8 years old when they bought it, but not sure. Was rebuild about 15 years ago, seems solid, stops instantly, sounds horrible and it is purely gutless…not to mention filthy, but I’m the new guy, just finding my feet. I’m of the opinion that if I want to work in a better shop, I’ve got to take the bull by the horns and make it a better shop. Step one is deciphering whether or not it’s worth making into a better shop.

The MK Enterprise 1810 is a lathe with an 18” swing over the bed-ways, and although I haven’t actually measured them, I want to guess the bed-ways from the chuck are about 12’ long…not 100%…probably 10’ considering the size designation, but they look a little longer than that to me…maybe the 10 means the bed-ways are 10 inches apart? I’ll take a closer look tomorrow and get back to you.

Right now I’ve got the gap open and I’m turning-out 23” diameter flanges…1 3/8” thick. Getting between 2 and 3 done in a day…should be doing at least 6 dragging my ass, probably 10 with all the right tools for the job…

Hello MadMick,

If you re-post this thread (just copy and paste your first post here) in the General Section, there are more eyeballs on the screen. Go to the top of this page, hit FORUM, scroll down to MANUFACTURING TODAY and there’s a GENERAL section. “Post New Thread” once there.

The motor is bogging? It’s very difficult to diagnose this via internet but I’d reckon the motor is a problem. Electrical trouble shooting/megging the motor for insulation resistance is better left to a service person. It may be the motor sounds terrible, or do the spindle bearings sound awful once spindle is engaged? Bad motor bearings can groan differently under load too.

Could be as simple as a bad connection on one of the phases in the disconnect.

What RCmech said is good. These are what I would check first:
Have you looked to see if the headstock has oil in it?
With machine in Neutral can you easily rotate the spindle by hand? Does it feel smooth & quiet?
Can you also do the same with the motor? It should spin over easy by hand but there will also be some belt friction.
If all is good then look at dirty or arced contacts on motor starter, that could be causing one leg to not have full power.

Back