Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The next time you fly.......

Next time on an airplane with nothing to keep you busy think about this. But do not panic!
    Aviation’s Crazy, Mixed Up Units of Measure – AeroSavvy

2. Likes Curt Brown, dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's been an issue for many years. See the case of the Gimli Glider Gimli Glider - Wikipedia. I believe the root cause was that they called for a fuel load in kilograms but were given only that many pounds, thus giving them less than half the fuel they needed.

However, we are slowly creeping toward metric. I remember routinely getting weather reports with wind speed in m/s, pressure in mB, and temps in degrees C. That was 12 years ago and inside the US. With the move to more modern navigation like ADS-B, a metric switch might be a bit easier.

4. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    It's been an issue for many years. See the case of the Gimli Glider Gimli Glider - Wikipedia. I believe the root cause was that they called for a fuel load in kilograms but were given only that many pounds, thus giving them less than half the fuel they needed.

However, we are slowly creeping toward metric. I remember routinely getting weather reports with wind speed in m/s, pressure in mB, and temps in degrees C. That was 12 years ago and inside the US. With the move to more modern navigation like ADS-B, a metric switch might be a bit easier.
    When I was still current, surface temps and distances, Terminal Control Areas, were in degrees F and statute miles, aloft & enroute in degrees C and nautical miles. With airspeed in Knots, it wasn't a big deal. Metric, BTW, is a force-fit that doesn't fit. As usual.

Fuel for light civilian aircraft was in US gallons. "A few" years earlier, ground controlling "century series" fighter-interceptors (F100, 101, 102, 106) fuel was in pounds, Avoir. Anything works, here, so long as one knows WHICH.

The point?

It used to be gnarlier, yet, than it is now!

And that was just for the USA!

PS: Any pilot as didn't realize he was short-fueled OR over-fueled should be demoted to rear-seat navigator, single-engine rubber sandals, fixed-gear, and taxiing only at that.

"Grounded". IOW, and before an aircraft does it for him. The hard way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I raced motorcycles at Gimli. Track was rough but the people we met were great.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you saying we are slowly inching toward the metric system?

8. Likes ronf, HiNi liked this post