UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Solar Powered Data Center

Hello all,
    Is solar energy being adopted into data centers? I recently read an article in Energy Tech Review regarding the scope of solar powered data centers. I guess that it will be cost-effective, but it will have challenges too. I would like to know more on this. Does anyone here have any information to share regarding this? I would be glad to hear from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Google is your friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not only does your off-topic post not have "OT" in the title but your one and only post carries the smell of spam. A machinist forum is a very strange place to post such a question.

Do you have any commercial interest in such systems?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

definite spammer.

Why photovoltaic anyways ?

Converting sun "Light" into electrons, only to be converted back to "light" for fiber.....seems stoopid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    definite spammer.

Converting sun "Light" into electrons, only to be converted back to "light" for fiber.....seems stoopid.
    Post-apocalyptic data transfer?

Best bandwidth 9 AM to 3 PM, no service after dark. Sounds like a plan to me.

6. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    definite spammer.

Data centers are deploying solar. But it is a fairly complex problem, because data centers are usually designed to run reliably under all manner of conditions. So they would very rarely be only solar, and usually designed to be able to operate without any solar power input.

To the above comment: datacenters’ primary power use is for servers and storage, only a tiny fraction of that being lighting fiber. Most is just heat from processor chips, memory, and disk.

Electrical conversion, and various other parts of electrical distribution have inefficiencies (again, dissipating heat).

Finally the cooling solution for the data center consumes non-trivial power, depending on its design criteria and the cooling requirements for the machines in the data center.

The roof of datacenters is often very large and a good place for PV panels, and they can often at peak daylight times offset a good amount of the load, but storing enough power from them to run 24hours or to cover weather and other sub-optimal Solar conditions would be prohibitive. Datacenters typically have 10-30min of battery capacity only (ballpark, some more and some less) and onsite diesel generation for any appreciable period of utility electric outage.

And yes way off topic, lots of further reading via google.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Post-apocalyptic data transfer?

Best bandwidth 9 AM to 3 PM, no service after dark. Sounds like a plan to me.
    "Candles".....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandenberger View Post
    Data centers are deploying solar. But it is a fairly complex problem, because data centers are usually designed to run reliably under all manner of conditions. So they would very rarely be only solar, and usually designed to be able to operate without any solar power input.

To the above comment: datacenters’ primary power use is for servers and storage, only a tiny fraction of that being lighting fiber. Most is just heat from processor chips, memory, and disk.

Electrical conversion, and various other parts of electrical distribution have inefficiencies (again, dissipating heat).

Finally the cooling solution for the data center consumes non-trivial power, depending on its design criteria and the cooling requirements for the machines in the data center.

The roof of datacenters is often very large and a good place for PV panels, and they can often at peak daylight times offset a good amount of the load, but storing enough power from them to run 24hours or to cover weather and other sub-optimal Solar conditions would be prohibitive. Datacenters typically have 10-30min of battery capacity only (ballpark, some more and some less) and onsite diesel generation for any appreciable period of utility electric outage.

And yes way off topic, lots of further reading via google.
    You doo realize the Op is a spammer ?

or are you tag teaming us ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, spam for sure, but really.

Does anybody think for a moment that a server isn't going to be connected to the grid?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Google is your friend.
    Your friend maybe. Not mine

I know if I use the web google's going to have their hands on my balls but at least I can try to avoid that as much as possible ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I meant the spammer's friend. Maybe Google will be so distracted trying to grab her balls they'll leave you alone

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Maybe Google will be so distracted trying to grab her balls they'll leave you alone
    She probably lives in Calcutta and has a beard