Solar Powered Data Center
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Solar Powered Data Center

    Hello all,
    Is solar energy being adopted into data centers? I recently read an article in Energy Tech Review regarding the scope of solar powered data centers. I guess that it will be cost-effective, but it will have challenges too. I would like to know more on this. Does anyone here have any information to share regarding this? I would be glad to hear from you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1340
    Likes (Received)
    651

    Default

    Google is your friend.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4647
    Likes (Received)
    4636

    Default

    Not only does your off-topic post not have "OT" in the title but your one and only post carries the smell of spam. A machinist forum is a very strange place to post such a question.

    Do you have any commercial interest in such systems?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    16,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    definite spammer.

    Why photovoltaic anyways ?

    Converting sun "Light" into electrons, only to be converted back to "light" for fiber.....seems stoopid.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    4,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4647
    Likes (Received)
    4636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    definite spammer.

    Why photovoltaic anyways ?

    Converting sun "Light" into electrons, only to be converted back to "light" for fiber.....seems stoopid.
    Post-apocalyptic data transfer?

    Best bandwidth 9 AM to 3 PM, no service after dark. Sounds like a plan to me.

  6. Likes digger doug liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    definite spammer.

    Why photovoltaic anyways ?

    Converting sun "Light" into electrons, only to be converted back to "light" for fiber.....seems stoopid.

    Data centers are deploying solar. But it is a fairly complex problem, because data centers are usually designed to run reliably under all manner of conditions. So they would very rarely be only solar, and usually designed to be able to operate without any solar power input.

    To the above comment: datacenters’ primary power use is for servers and storage, only a tiny fraction of that being lighting fiber. Most is just heat from processor chips, memory, and disk.

    Electrical conversion, and various other parts of electrical distribution have inefficiencies (again, dissipating heat).

    Finally the cooling solution for the data center consumes non-trivial power, depending on its design criteria and the cooling requirements for the machines in the data center.

    The roof of datacenters is often very large and a good place for PV panels, and they can often at peak daylight times offset a good amount of the load, but storing enough power from them to run 24hours or to cover weather and other sub-optimal Solar conditions would be prohibitive. Datacenters typically have 10-30min of battery capacity only (ballpark, some more and some less) and onsite diesel generation for any appreciable period of utility electric outage.

    And yes way off topic, lots of further reading via google.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    16,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Post-apocalyptic data transfer?

    Best bandwidth 9 AM to 3 PM, no service after dark. Sounds like a plan to me.
    "Candles".....

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    16,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandenberger View Post
    Data centers are deploying solar. But it is a fairly complex problem, because data centers are usually designed to run reliably under all manner of conditions. So they would very rarely be only solar, and usually designed to be able to operate without any solar power input.

    To the above comment: datacenters’ primary power use is for servers and storage, only a tiny fraction of that being lighting fiber. Most is just heat from processor chips, memory, and disk.

    Electrical conversion, and various other parts of electrical distribution have inefficiencies (again, dissipating heat).

    Finally the cooling solution for the data center consumes non-trivial power, depending on its design criteria and the cooling requirements for the machines in the data center.

    The roof of datacenters is often very large and a good place for PV panels, and they can often at peak daylight times offset a good amount of the load, but storing enough power from them to run 24hours or to cover weather and other sub-optimal Solar conditions would be prohibitive. Datacenters typically have 10-30min of battery capacity only (ballpark, some more and some less) and onsite diesel generation for any appreciable period of utility electric outage.

    And yes way off topic, lots of further reading via google.
    You doo realize the Op is a spammer ?

    or are you tag teaming us ?

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1340
    Likes (Received)
    651

    Default

    Yeah, spam for sure, but really.

    Does anybody think for a moment that a server isn't going to be connected to the grid?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    2,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Google is your friend.
    Your friend maybe. Not mine

    I know if I use the web google's going to have their hands on my balls but at least I can try to avoid that as much as possible ....

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1340
    Likes (Received)
    651

    Default

    I meant the spammer's friend. Maybe Google will be so distracted trying to grab her balls they'll leave you alone

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    2,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Maybe Google will be so distracted trying to grab her balls they'll leave you alone
    She probably lives in Calcutta and has a beard


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •