What's new
What's new

10" Rockwell Lathe Rebuild

Homehobbier

Plastic
I am currently in the process of rebuilding an old Delta Rockwell 10" lathe. The lathe came out of a field and had been covered up so the rust wasn't too bad. So far the rebuild is getting towards the end and the parts are coming back together. I am running into one problem though. The lathe did not have a tailstock when I got it. This has been a task to try and find. I have searched eBay and all over to come up empty. Does anyone have one or know of someone willing to part ways with one? I don't care if it is rusty but it would have to have all the parts since I don't have a lathe/mill yet to make new parts for it. I am working on posting pictures of the rebuild on my profile.

Thanks,
Brett

Attachments

• 9A196591-A3BF-4517-BE5F-4B715A9DBABC.jpg
    9A196591-A3BF-4517-BE5F-4B715A9DBABC.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3367.jpg
    IMG_3367.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 2A06391F-A027-4EE7-9014-3533DC93285B.jpg
    2A06391F-A027-4EE7-9014-3533DC93285B.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 104
How about telling us the swing of lathe and a photo of the end of tailstoch end of lathe. Yon should watch ebay or Yahoo Rockwell forums. Many times you may have to buy a tailstock close to size and make it fit. MSC sell Chinese machine parts , or Grizzly.. let's get some more info.

Swing

IMG_3429.jpg
How about telling us the swing of lathe and a photo of the end of tailstoch end of lathe. Yon should watch ebay or Yahoo Rockwell forums. Many times you may have to buy a tailstock close to size and make it fit. MSC sell Chinese machine parts , or Grizzly.. let's get some more info.

Swing over bed is 10.125”
Has two V-shapes on it. Each .562 wide
Bed is a total of 6.437 wide

Attachments

• 8AFDD868-2FA0-4F3B-8CA9-5C901F9383C8.jpg
    8AFDD868-2FA0-4F3B-8CA9-5C901F9383C8.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3430.jpg
    IMG_3430.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 54
Your tailstock will only run on 1 V. As Richard mentioned you might just have to make one fit until the day you find the right one. Do you know what the right tailstock looks like? How are you searching ebay? Try searching just for "lathe tailstock", I've seen more than a few unidentified lathe parts being sold, if you know what it looks like you might get lucky searching that way.

I have found a South Bend Lathe Tailstock that may work. The biggest down side is that I am unsure of the width. It appears the swing is correct and it has one v on the correct side for it to work. I guess this may be an expensive trial by error.

I have found a South Bend Lathe Tailstock that may work. The biggest down side is that I am unsure of the width. It appears the swing is correct and it has one v on the correct side for it to work. I guess this may be an expensive trial by error.

Use your SB tailstock Just make a new base that fits your bed and the tailstock, it will be made to fit the Rockford on the bottom and a SB on the top. That's how I put a Hardinge turret on a SB 16. Nothing to it, just do it.

Ok. I will purchase and hopefully give an update after I receive it and see what needs to be done. I am new to this whole thing so there is a long road ahead.

"Make one fit" is good advice, but I don't see how you're going to do it without a mill. I think you should post a wanted ad over on owwm.org.

"Make one fit" is good advice, but I don't see how you're going to do it without a mill. I think you should post a wanted ad over on owwm.org.

Agreed, how’s this man supposed to make a tailstock base? Angle grinder an wood chisels? Op do you even have a means to work a block into a useable tailstock base?

I don’t have the means at the moment but I do have a friend in Arizona with a mill. Long ways from Reno. It may just be a project that sits and waits until I get the means or can find the right tailstock

I don’t have the means at the moment but I do have a friend in Arizona with a mill. Long ways from Reno. It may just be a project that sits and waits until I get the means or can find the right tailstock

A friend with a mill is a friend indeed! I do share the same idea as the others here. If you can cut a new tailstock base then you’ll be absolutely fine using a SB tailstock if you get it accurately lined up with the axis of the headstock.

I finally got my SB 10" heavy tailstock. It fits the ways perfectly and its pretty close to what the Rockwell tailstock would be. I have to clean up the morse taper in the quill before I can start inserting any tooling into it. I am hoping to get to a point where I can confirm the base is tall enough as is. But it's a solid start for not knowing a lot or having a ton of tools at the moment. IMG_3431.jpg

Dad has the same lathe. I love it. I get incredibly accurate parts if I'm patient. Looks like you've got a good start on getting it fixed up nice.

Back