What's new
What's new

1938 Cincinnati 2MH leaking from vertical head/spindle after reassembly

Dope

Cast Iron
Hello friends,

Well, the title pretty much says it all. I had to disassemble the universal head on my 2MH and when I put it back together, everything is fine except it is leaking right around the spindle nose.

20201214_234718.jpg

20201214_234653.jpg

I checked to see if I had left out any parts and I don't seem to have. I cleaned everything meticulously before putting it back together so I'm really perplexed. It is leaking significantly too, I suspect the entire head will be empty within an hour. Any suggestions for things to look for, or things to try when I take it back apart again tomorrow?

Dope

my thout is it should have greas in it not oil

Oh, I guess I hadn't considered that. The machine is new to me and yeah I don't remember if it had oil in it or not. The 90 degree section before the head had oil in it for sure (appeared to be 80w90 gear oil). Any idea what grease it would take? I don't have a manual and nothing is online for the universal heads. Maybe there's a specification for the vertical version of this mill hmmmmmmmm.

Edit: yeah the vertical version of this mill specifies "medium sponge, short fibre base. sodium soap base" grease. I see mentions of Standard Oil Indiana Superla 2X grease as well. Now to find a modern replacement...

Dope

I guess my final question is, do you just grease up the spiral bevel gear? Or fill the head with grease?

I think that grease needs some place to go as well. In my ignorance, I would fill it like you lube ball bearings: do not fill more than 1/4-1/3 of the space available.

On a different note, the spindle of the Van Norman #12 mill run into a oil bath and light grease is used on the bearing seal to prevent most of the leakage, especially when used in the vertical position.

Paolo

Back