What's new
What's new

3D printed camelback SE patterns

cyanidekid

Titanium
Hi folks, I am trying to find the thread in which a camelback straight edge pattern that has been 3D printed is pictured and discussed.

seems I remember It was not too long ago, this spring perhaps, and I think it was yellow if i remember correctly.

also looking for who still casts iron in the USA.

thank you in advance,cheers!

My last pattern was from a 3 D generated Pattern. Keith Ruckers friend on You Tube talks about 3 D printed patterns. It works slick as hell. 3D Printing: Camel Back Straight Edge - YouTube

Picture is my new HKA-12S it has a 45 and 50 degree angle on each side of the flat - camelback too/ Made from 3 D printed pattern.

Attachments

• 20180605_102352.jpg
    20180605_102352.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 20180605_102027.jpg
    20180605_102027.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 126
yup, yup!! thank you Richard, I thought it was yours, but I had forgotten that it was a youtube link, thats why I couldn't find it.

I am looking to cast something completely different that a SE, so thanks TD, but thats not what I'm looking for.

anyone know who is still pouring iron in the USA??

ahh, the Amish, of corse..raise a barn, cast a straight edge, plow a field, no utility hookup required!

There is a foundry in Maine too one of my clients just found.

of corse if it were stainless, and precision cast, I would contact Pine Tree Castings in NH, do they still take contract work?

ahh, the Amish, of corse..raise a barn, cast a straight edge, plow a field, no utility hookup required!

There is a foundry in Maine too one of my clients just found.

of corse if it were stainless, and precision cast, I would contact Pine Tree Castings in NH, do they still take contract work?

You said NOT an SE, so. Can you go ahead and use Stainless for your application?

:)

Hi folks, I am trying to find the thread in which a camelback straight edge pattern that has been 3D printed is pictured and discussed.

seems I remember It was not too long ago, this spring perhaps, and I think it was yellow if i remember correctly.

also looking for who still casts iron in the USA.

thank you in advance,cheers!

Wrong side of the USA, but MacKenzie Casting in Arlington WA casts many tons of iron daily. Good people with on-staff Metallurgist, on-site spectrometry, casts Steel, Stainless, Cast Iron---Ductile and Grey. On-site Heat Treat. Good people. Tell Tony I sent you.

If the items fit in a FRB shipping is reasonable.

iron and steel castings manufacturer

Denis

These guys did a few castings for the museum at Tuckahoe

Catskill Castings and Greene Brass & Aluminum Foundry

dee
;-D

Off the general line here, but didja notice the thin-section work they do for Iron cover doors for chimney clean-out?

Pattern Shop

That's the sort of specialized skill as would be needed to replicate the covers and doors on rather a lot of Machine Tools that have had theirs go cracked or outright missing.

Pulling a mould from a survivor needs shrink-compensated, but that isn't complex on a part that is mostly flat and has few features beyond some edge-curvature and such.

Off the general line here, but didja notice the thin-section work they do for Iron cover doors for chimney clean-out?

Pattern Shop

That's the sort of specialized skill as would be needed to replicate the covers and doors on rather a lot of Machine Tools that have had theirs go cracked or outright missing.

Pulling a mould from a survivor needs shrink-compensated, but that isn't complex on a part that is mostly flat and has few features beyond some edge-curvature and such.

People at the museum were pretty happy with them, Their pattern shop is good, and their castings are decent. I do not know pricing. Paolo can fill in more details.

dee
;-D

People at the museum were pretty happy with them, Their pattern shop is good, and their castings are decent. I do not know pricing. Paolo can fill in more details.

dee
;-D

What I have in mind are the 10EE's two rearmost covers, large nearly flat lower, smaller, but complex curved upper.

The hardest to fab any decent alternative to, the most often gone already, the most needed, as they are meant to cover moving pulleys, belts, gears, spindle, and such.

IMNSHO, the lower should have always been two-piece, split at vertical centerline to left and right, which would also support concealed adjusting (under a rib) to base casting variances.

The chronic breakage is partly because it is too wide for its thickness, and too heavy and awkward to handle carefully.

this place can be really great! thank you everyone, it looks like Catskill Casting may be the perfect foundry for this, as it is a type of grating I'm looking to produce, in small quantities.

cheers, folks!

There is small foundry in Elliston ,Virginia who does small jobs , one offs, reproduction work for tractor and railroad restorers. I haven't anything for myself yet, have seen the castings for our railroad group. They are very friendly and reasonable.
Nomar Castings, Inc.
6563 Stones Keep Ln
Elliston, VA 24087

Back