What's new
What's new

Adhering Rulon (Turcite) to steel

tigman250

Plastic
Good morning folks, I have a job in the shop where I have to glue Rulon into the ID bore of a bushing then ID grind it to finish size. I have the Rulon and CE-211R epoxy/resin and plan to bead blast and hyper-clean the ID prior to applying the adhesive, my question is how tightly to clamp the rulon into the ID? I plan on turning a piece of Delrin to the rough ID dimension, slitting it in half then use pusher screws between the two halves to clamp. I see the epoxy/resin comes with a grooved application knife, this leads me to believe that they want a certain of thickness of adhesive in the joint and don't want it all squeezed out with clamping pressure. What's the consensus from those that are familiar with the process?

Thanks All!

The CE-211R epoxy from TriStar has tiny beads all the same size. The beads create space to hold the epoxy in place while under pressure.
Other types of epoxy will squeeze out under pressure resulting in a shallow film thickness that may fail.
Directions:
TriStar Technical Library | Application Sheets | Worksheets
Compressed air must be oil-free or don't use it.
The instructions for 'Application of Rulon and PTFE..........' advise cleaning the etched side of Rulon 142 (if that is your material) so be aware that any cloth or paper that leaves lint or debris will deposit same on the rough etched side. Consider a small clean(new) brush instead and flood clean.

Tube and solid stock as well as bearings made to size are also offered by TriStar across the range of products.

Perhaps a piece of Delrin tapped on each end with a pipe tap. Then run in a pair of pipe plugs to expand? A band saw could cut slots in the length like a mandrel sleeve to aid expansion. Opposed pipe plugs should minimize spin of the Delrin when clamping.

I did a similar task for a spindle journal when a roller bearing froze and trashed the diameter. Turned the diameter with ceramic for clean up of the hardened surface. Made a simple fixture to clamp the rulon. Turned the rulon diameter for a slight press .0005 - done.
John

The CE-211R epoxy from TriStar has tiny beads all the same size. The beads create space to hold the epoxy in place while under pressure.
Other types of epoxy will squeeze out under pressure resulting in a shallow film thickness that may fail.

Auto industry uses beaded adhesives by the ton. "Lord" is a major supplier if you need a DIFFERENT bead diameter, this project, or some other.

Back