What's new
What's new

Adjusting backlash

fusco.ivan

Plastic
Hey guys!! how are u doing?

I'm reaconditioning a #1 old milling machine from Argentina and i want to ask u about backlash.
I didn't check the backlash from the X,Y (Z has some backlash but it looks like a normal backlash from 2 gears) but it's obvious that it has some. Is there a standarized backlash for these machines? I don't have the manual and it's so old that i can't get it on the internet.
All the scales are metric...

Thanks!

Hey guys!! how are u doing?

I'm reaconditioning a #1 old milling machine from Argentina and i want to ask u about backlash.
I didn't check the backlash from the X,Y (Z has some backlash but it looks like a normal backlash from 2 gears) but it's obvious that it has some. Is there a standarized backlash for these machines? I don't have the manual and it's so old that i can't get it on the internet.
All the scales are metric...

Thanks!

backlash limits usually depend how easy it is to fix, replace parts, etc, obviously if backlash is large its more of a problem (like over a full turn of a dial)
some lead screw nuts are adjustable to tighten up or just need replacing, they are often a soft bronze nut so steel lead screw wears slower. I have had to remake lead screw nuts that were not made anymore, obviously if acme or square thread its easier if you have a tap the same as leadscrew. that can be a problem getting a tap

I saw the adjustable nut, it has 4 screws radial and i think they are for adjusting. It's the right one??
ajustable.jpg (sorry for the dirt)

Back