What's new
What's new

Advice needed - bearings for old lapidary saw

Tereci

Plastic
Hi,

I am restoring an old lapidary saw. It has two bearings on the arbor shaft and I know that one of them needs to be replaced, the other one is fine.

I am looking for help with 2 things:

1) I haven't done this before and I am having trouble getting the bearing to come of the shaft. It has eccentric locking collar and I removed the set screw already. I tried inserting a screw driver into the other hole and tapping it in the other way than the way the shaft usually rotates in. It doesn't budge. Any tips on how to get it off or maybe even links to some good videos explaining how to get a bearing like that of the shaft?

2) I am trying to figure out what bearing to replace it with. The collar has this on it "204-012 SKF MADE IN USA". I was able to find these on ebay but the pictures look a bit different and there are several sub types. Do the bearings need to be exactly the same or what are the important parameters to look at?

This is a picture of the bearings and the shaft.

IMG_6897.jpg

Thank you, I am very new to this!
Tereza.

Plus screw driver tapping does not give much pressure. With the bearing jackets off a decent puller would be better..set so it pulls on the minor diameter of the bearing so to not harm the good one.

I like to clean up a shaft with a fine flat file so just the bugs are removed down to witness the original surface, not take stock all around like emery does..

In regards to the eccentric lock...it will lock in either direction so just assuming it was locked in the opposite direction of shaft rotation is not valid, it could be locked either way. Tapping will not get results, you need a serious hammer and a good punch and you must hold your mouth just right or the thing won't budge. Smack the heck out of it and it'll come off.

Stuart

Back