What's new
What's new

Advice needed - bearings for old lapidary saw

Tereci

Plastic
Hi,

I am looking for a replacement bearing for an old lapidary saw. The original bearings that are on the saw are 478204-012 SKF. It seems to me that those are not made anymore. Do you happen to know what would be the best replacement or what to check for when looking for one? I need to replace just one so I am looking for something as close as possible.

Here is a picture of the bearings:
IMG_6897.jpg

Thank you,
Tereza

You are right, I know of this one 478204-012 SKF New Ball Bearing Insert: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific . But they have a last one, cost of shipping almost as much as the bearing itself. Nothing on ebay.
I was hoping I could upgrade to something interchangeable that is being produced nowadays in case I later need to replace the other one to make sure I can easily get it. It seems to me that YET 204-012 W SKF might be a successor but I am not sure what exactly to compare to make sure - if inner/bore and outer diameter and width match is that all I should need to worry about?
I guess I should probably just call the manufacturer on Monday.

Best to replace the pair of bearings IMO, even if only one seems bad now. How did it fail. Load on the top bearing? Crap getting into the lower bearing?

Looks to me like the shaft diameter is critical, close is good on the OD, and you want something shielded to keep water and grit out.

Go to McMaster.com and lookup “mounted bearings”. Measure the shaft and mounting spacing to find a couple of matches to the McMaster site. Buy a pair. If that’s too rich, type the parts number from McMaster into eBay and you can probably find a few hundred surplus bearings that will fill the bill.

Back