What's new
What's new

All good stones need good homes

Dee if you ever want to quit your day job and stop driving your Mini Cooper, you could be driving a pickup and building cabinets :-) I have a question for you though, "is the stone square sitting in 3 points when it's in the trophy case?

Dee if you ever want to quit your day job and stop driving your Mini Cooper, you could be driving a pickup and building cabinets :-) I have a question for you though, "is the stone square sitting in 3 points when it's in the trophy case?

Well, it is not right now I have a flat sheet of cardboard under it. But one could put 3 thin spacers under it, there is about 80 thou wiggle vertically. On a practical level, where would you put the three points on the 6"x12" face? How far in from the edges?

dee
;-D

Well, it is not right now I have a flat sheet of cardboard under it. But one could put 3 thin spacers under it, there is about 80 thou wiggle vertically. On a practical level, where would you put the three points on the 6"x12" face? How far in from the edges?

dee
;-D

What do you think? Would it have to do with the weight of one side or the other? Maybe I'm a bit picky...I love the scraping on the angle block :-) (((( Dee))))) guy hug - Give Paolo one from me when you see him :-)

What do you think? Would it have to do with the weight of one side or the other? Maybe I'm a bit picky...I love the scraping on the angle block :-) (((( Dee))))) guy hug - Give Paolo one from me when you see him :-)

well... I can put two small pads on the high side 2.5" or so in from the short end and maybe 1" in from the long side and put one 1" in on the center. That is sorta Airyish.

The angle plate is the first piece I managed to get scraped with the "Moore pattern" let's just call it "Moorish". I was happy to learn something new.

IMG_2592.jpg

Ah yeah, hugs to ya too. Although still not goin' campin' :).

dee
;-D

Last edited:
If anybody needs one of these, I have one that I will be listing soon, just been recalibrated, e-mail me

Ok, here is a bit of free advertising for you :) These things are awesome if you need to scrape in an angle plate, or anything square with the surface needing squaring smaller than 12"x9". Maybe a good fixture plate, but hard to fixture against it. It is a bit short and awkwardly wide to use it as an alignment measuring tool on a machine. A 9"x18" two or three-inch thick square is much better for aligning things. They also take up a lot of space on your Surface plate. On my 18"x24" granite, the square, the part, a couple of height gages, the squareness comparator made it too close for comfort, I had to move all the junk to the 2'x3' granite to keep things all spread out evenly.

All that said, I would not buy one of these as an only square, but definitely, an awesome second or third square, assuming the price is right :). When you are scraping in a knee, you just spread blue on the square rub the part holding it firm on the surface plate and preso voila, you ready to step scrape, no futzing around with gage blocks and squareness comparators. You can leave that as a verification step

IMG_2584.jpg

dee
;-D

Last edited:
I have been following the boxing on instagram :), nice work!

Gotcha...Thanks for checking in. I use instagram as my personal scrapbook, I am not much on following people back :). My goal is just to make things better than the last one I made.

dee
;-D

Last edited:

Back