What's new
What's new

Another Lathe ID - "emblem" and: Akzle has fun with gravity.

Akzle

Aluminum
So i had this lathe kicking around at home for a while waiting for the time and money to be put into it, after discovering i had only two phases (but three meters :angry:) it was going to be a case of RPC and drive on, now due to an impromptu gravity attack, it's going to be a full on re-condition, thus my entry into this sub-forum.

1) Anyone got any idea on when or where made, i suspect an ozzie from ~1950.
nothing comes up on lathes.co.uk, there are (i'm fairly certain) no markings on the bed or head, inside, outside, under... of course, i have another 1/4" of grease to remove just yet.

2) my resto plan goes like this:
electro the bed, braze repair the head mount, paint the bed, flatten the bed, level and mount. (i am not intending to clean up the cabinets/stands...)
dismantle the lead screw box, clean, paint, fit.
dismantle the apron, clean, paint, assemble, fit. - cast or machine new handwheels.
dismantle the head, clean, paint, fit align by some devilry, secure.
dismantle the tailstock and steadies, clean, paint.

overhead layshaft belt driven by remote motor which is doubling as my RPC. going to weld/bend/make a clutch for the flat belt that pivots behind the headstock.

it's filthy, but straight (well, was before i dropped it) and the ways and gibs all look good, even though some stripped threads and missing bolts, it turns smooth...tis a beaut, really...

what say you, wise folk.

The way up it's supposed to be:
attachment.php

The way up it ended up:
attachment.php

3)The bed with everything off it...

5) The bit that broke off
4) the bit it broke off.

Attachments

• pm_upside_up.jpg
    pm_upside_up.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 483
  • pm_downside_up.jpg
    pm_downside_up.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 361
  • pm_bed.jpg
    pm_bed.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 138
  • pm_spot.jpg
    pm_spot.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 137
  • pm_whats_missing.jpg
    pm_whats_missing.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 131
photos fairly self explanatory:
1) Headstock
2) Backgear
3) Threading Chart
4) Stand.

Attachments

• pm_headstock.jpg
    pm_headstock.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 117
  • pm_backgear.jpg
    pm_backgear.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 193
  • pm_threadchart.jpg
    pm_threadchart.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 318
  • pm_stand.jpg
    pm_stand.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 362
Looks like that's going to be a "fun" repair.:ack2:

really? that's good,
...because i thought it was going to be frustrating, time consuming and contributing to the ever increasing number of grey hairs im growing...

there was certainly a lot of swearing when i decked it.

c'est la vie

Oops- hope it didn't hurt anyone. Looks like one of those "is it really worth it" jobs.
I have a working flat belt Colchester available......

It is hard to tell from the lack of detail in the photographs but that is quite a "gap" in the bed. Is that a factory setup or did someone help you out with the weight reduction? It has happened before.

As for identification I suggest you post a link in the Antiques subforum to your thread here. There are a lot of good detectives who may not look here very often.

Good luck with your work and keep us informed, please take the time to keep your posts as educational as possible. For the benefit of those of us who might find some of your problems our problems one day. :)

Charles

Oops- hope it didn't hurt anyone. Looks like one of those "is it really worth it" jobs.
I have a working flat belt Colchester available......
i considered breaking it's fall with my legs, but looking at what it did to the 3" post and the concrete i'm actually glad i did not.
most frustrating is that it's the third time i've moved it, and not even the most difficult move, and i'm still not entirely sure /why/ it went down.

your colchester? I'll have it.

i'm going to brand this "norton" - after my uncle's norton that he's spent the last 4+ decades building/repairing/???
only i'm expecting to have it done within 4 years. =)
It is hard to tell from the lack of detail in the photographs but that is quite a "gap" in the bed. Is that a factory setup or did someone help you out with the weight reduction? It has happened before.

As for identification I suggest you post a link in the Antiques subforum to your thread here. There are a lot of good detectives who may not look here very often.

Good luck with your work and keep us informed, please take the time to keep your posts as educational as possible. For the benefit of those of us who might find some of your problems our problems one day. :)

Charles
1) the gap piece is missing to accommodate the 2 foot faceplate/chuck, i may or may not get to casting a replacement, but it is a long way down my already long list of things to do before i die.

weight reduction - haha!

2) i will do that. thankyou.
-edit-
done. crosslink here:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...y/another-lathe-id-help-thread-emblem-293519/

3) i will also endeavour to do that, my main problem is i do a job without taking photos and then have to try and explain it, since i'm in no hurry with this i might actually get a decent write up done.

Back