What's new
What's new

anyone in Cincinnati area rebuilding?

iwananew10K

Diamond
For a small machine, the only shops I know of only do bigger stuff...this is a short,3ft bed SB, normally I would not go this far with one but this one is kind of special and will have a special purpose.

at minimum it will need the bed done and the underside of the saddle built up and refitted, I could manage the rest if necessary...

Thanks for any leads or suggestions.

We have done smaller south bends like that. If we get just the bed, carriage, and cross slide(and obviously gibs/screws/nuts) you would be looking about $5k for the job.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

yes, I understand that would be not out of line for this type work.

However, I must minimize cost, my goal is to just restore function to the machine, and though it is contrary to the spirit of this forum, what I used to refer to as a "hobby level" rebuild may have to suffice.

This machine will be going in my living room, as something I can play around with and teach my son to use, the reason this machine is ideal is it is essentially a SB "heavy 10", actually the predessor to it and made for 1 year in 1939, it is built on the same platform as the 10" but only has a 9" swing and a 36" total length bed and uses a bench mounted drive, which I need as I am more or less chair bound and cannot bend over to change belts, it is SLOW, also a plus...and it is only about 400 lbs....I intend to outfit it with only a 4j chuck,maybe 5C collets, and a lantern tool post, he WILL learn to grind a tool.:)

Ideally the bed would need planed,square cut, and the saddle built with rulon and fitted...I think I can still handle the cross slide, tail and headstock and all mechanicals, just have to get the carriage riding reasonably true.

We have done smaller south bends like that. If we get just the bed, carriage, and cross slide(and obviously gibs/screws/nuts) you would be looking about $5k for the job.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Jon do you know anyone with a planner? I can help Iwan do the scraping and give him some Rulon, plus he can scrape but he is ill with Limes disease. Iwana has helped in this forum for years and I feel we need to do him a favor, now he is sick. Retail for a South Bend is not what he is looking for. I am thinking we could do it for free or some of us can contribute to a fund to help pay wholesale. I know many on Practical Machinist advertise for you guys a lot Jon. Consider it pay back and do us a favor and help Iwan :-)

The company that does our big work (we can do up to 13 foot beds) is in Cincinnati, but I am not sure, like the OP said, if they will do something that small. I will have to look for the company, since we havent used them in years.

Jon

Dynamic Engineering, the old Gray Planner folks? I know several rebuilders who send their big parts to them. They charge and arm and a leg. I was hoping we could find a small rebuilder or shop that has a 6' planner.

I could probably mill it to within .002" or less over the length on all dimensions on my HBM. I am just over an hour south of Cincinnati.

Brian is a quiet man, who has a heck of a smart and nice dog, Bailey I think is his name. He also received a certificate for attending. I mean Bailey and Brian at a Keith Rucker class. Brian is a super machinist and a really good hand scraper!... :-) YouTube

Attachments

• 20171103_162857.jpg
    20171103_162857.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20171104_141227.jpg
    20171104_141227.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 81
Moscow is just over an hour from me. I would be willing to help if I can. I'm not a rebuilder but dont mind helping where i can.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

GRinder, I'll take all the help I can get!

just popped my shoulder trying to move stuff, it's back in but, dag..it hurts.

in the spirit of my G,dad..(who said when you get hurt the code says you gotta make a joke)...

My toe feels better. :)

when the time comes you are welcome to stop by and see it make some chips!

always enjoy meeting other members.

Back