What's new
What's new

August scraping class in lewiston idaho

Richard King

Diamond
Just finished up a class in Lewiston Idaho at CCI Speer an Ammo manufacturer owned by Vista Outdoors, who also own Remington Ammo, MN based Federal Cartridge and several others. I had 10 students. 3 had 35+ years as machine rebuilders and 4 had 15 years and 3 were apprentices, 2 came out from Remington Ammo in Little Rock, Arkansas. I taught all how to improve their skills in scraping, way alignment and rebuilding. The companies are running 24 -7 and have been for 2 years and they predict they will be running those sorts of hours for years to come. They rebuild headers, deep draw progressive presses and up-setters used to make primers, bullets and bullet cases (basically horizontal punch presses). I was limited to the photo's I could take and things I can talk about as I signed a confidentiality agreement. They talked about having me back in 2022.

Attachments

• 20210820_161804_resized.jpg
    20210820_161804_resized.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210818_155757_resized.jpg
    20210818_155757_resized.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210819_133747_resized.jpg
    20210819_133747_resized.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210817_140716_resized.jpg
    20210817_140716_resized.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210817_101434.jpg
    20210817_101434.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 58
I've been contacted by a Company near Seattle to do a class in November 2021. I will ad more info as I can. I was thinking as long as I am out there, I could stay over a weekend and teach another one out there if we can find a shop to host it. I also plan on doing another class in September and December in my home shop in MN.

I've been contacted by a Company near Seattle to do a class in November 2021. I will ad more info as I can. I was thinking as long as I am out there, I could stay over a weekend and teach another one out there if we can find a shop to host it. I also plan on doing another class in September and December in my home shop in MN.

I'd be interested in a Seattle area class especially if you could cover some machine rebuilding content over and above the basic scraping skills.

metalmagpie

Did Columbia Steel Casting in Portland ever commit to host another class? I'd be interested in either Seattle area or Portland, but have some schedule commitments before and after Thanksgiving.

Last time we talked about this I emailed 2 of my contacts there and they said they couldn't consider it until Covid was over. I can imagine they are worried about bringing in folks from all over could shut them down if someone carried it in. At CCI I had to fill in the Coovid form every day and they took my forehead temp. Last spring they had an outbreak and 1/2 the people had it I was told and all of the students in my class from the Lewiston plant had it back them. I was assured they had all tested negative after. I asked my students what happened. Most said they had a really bad headache and some others said they had the flu and coughed. Most said within 3 days they felt better, but had to satay home 10 days and then had to pass to tests before coming back. They test all the employees temps daily as they come thru security.

I was impressed with that company and employee's. I would estimate when I teach a class inside a large employer like them one of the students will ask me "How much does someone on the outside get paid to do this?" Not one of my 10 students asked me that. The newest hire in my class had been there 3 years. One had been there 44 years, his partner tech had been their 42. They were going to retire in 2 years they said. They had been scraping and rebuilding "headers" for for years and had 3 BIAX scrapers, 1 flaker, many masters and 2 Square Masters. They had never used the longer 150 series blades or sharpened the blades to 60 mm radius. They used the blades as they came in and scratched the living heck out of the out of the ways.

I see that a lot all over, they buy either a Sanvik, Anderson or Biax blade and assume it can be used as is. They are mistaken. That is why BIAX and Anderson sell radius gages. A few years ago after someone in here told the group Sanvik blades that are damn near flat have to be used that way. I contacted Sanvik and they said, they have no idea what people will be scraping. Barnacles of ships, paint off of steel beams, way scraping, etc. So they grind them flat and expect the customer to sharpen them they way they want them.

CCI had 2 Glendo Accu-Finish 2's but only bought 260 grit wheels. Luckily I brought along a 600 and 1200 grit wheel and we used them until new ones came in that they ordered on day one after I showed them how much sharper the finer wheels worked. They only did circles and X's. Never got more then 5 PPI, they stoned the living crap out of the ways too. hey said they assumed more percentage was better. One told me the machines got scores after about 2 years. The install new lube systems too on their rebuilds. Now they should be good. Just a week of training and that's all it took. Damn proud of them and how fast they figured it out. 10 more Kid's and 10 more brothers of you Stu!.. LOL

They had an impressive amount of round masters they used on the crank thows that they replaced or rebuilt the bronze bearings/bushings. They scraped with spoon scrapers. They also used Dykem bluing and had never used Canode. One of the Journeyman had a nickname o Smurf...lol They fell in-love with the Canode and the ink rollers, I also showed them how to remove the stained pink granite plates. Got to go, I'm a Judge at the MN state fair today. I'm judging Honey flavored foods, Alex my son is the Bee section supervisor as he now has 42 bee hives.

Back