What's new
What's new

Bearing Grade

animal12

Stainless
I have a old lathe that has a broken ball in the thrust bearing . I have been searching for months for a replacement thrust bearing , but keep getting told no one makes such a braring the size I took out of my lathe . So my question is what grade of ball do I want to buy & I will replace the bearings individually ? I have a bud with ah surface grinder & if needed I can have him grind the thrust washers . I only need 19 3/16 balls which I know I can get but unsure of whar grade I should get .
thanks
animal

Simple enough ...buy balls from SKF or another quality supplier......if you buy 3/16 balls from your local bearing shop ,you will find they can vary in size by up to 003.......I discovered this fact when I bought a packet of 100 "bearing quality" balls from a National bearing supplier for a steering worm nut recon......some of the balls simply wouldnt go in....when measured ,there were two distinct size groups ,and some random sizes........When I took them back ,the counter guy says ..EEEh Chinese ,whaddya expect?

Thanks folks . So here's the bearing dimensions 42.95 , 30.30 , 3/16 & thrust washers 42.98 , 30.30 , 3.14 . all numbers are MM except for the 3/16 .
thanks
animal

Thanks folks . So here's the bearing dimensions 42.95 , 30.30 , 3/16 & thrust washers 42.98 , 30.30 , 3.14 . all numbers are MM except for the 3/16 .
thanks
animal

????
Trust bearings are defined by diam of the OD diam of the smallest ID(is OD of the shaft) and the total height
Size of balls and thickness of thrust washers is not mentioned and is irrelevant for a new bearing
BTW one washer has a bigger ID
Also does it have a cage to hold the bearings or is it with loose balls

Peter

Before taking the route of replacing just the balls, I would make sure that there is no damage to the races in the trust washers. Hard to imagine, since you have a broken ball.

Paolo

OK here's a few pice with dimensions . The 2 thrust washeers have slightly different thickness & the 1 on the right in the pic is not completelyflat by a @ .0010 - .0020 . The bearing race itself looks to be in pretty good shape from viewing under magnification . P1020008.jpglet's see if the pic comes through
thanks
animal

ID of both washers are the same????
Eighter a special one or a frankenstein
Normally the ID of the washers is different
I would look for a metric thrustbearing 30x43x10mm
This is not a standard size though

Peter

Given that both races and the cage have the same ID, the only way it works is that their ID is larger than the shaft (perhaps, it's the result of the merge of two identical trust bearings).
My thought is that, when searching for a replacement, you might look for one that has the smallest ID equal to the spindle OD.

Paolo

thanks folks . I'll try to get out to th eshop this afternoon when I get back in & measure the spindle & the housing for the thrust bearing.
thanks
animal

Not sure what in the wide-wide world of sports you have there. It may have started as a wrapped bearing & modified. For simple stuff neither the ID or OD has to be stuck hard on the bore or shaft… They also make wrapped thrust bearings where both races live inside a steel shell (don’t think yours was made from one).

I’d just try to source the 3/16” balls & use what you got. If you do want to modify an existing bearing then a generic EW 1-1/8 has meat everywhere & an (Andrews/*********/SKF) 51106 does as well (Attached below).

Good luck,
Matt

Attachments

• ThrustBearings151a.jpg
    ThrustBearings151a.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 17
  • ThrustBearings157b.jpg
    ThrustBearings157b.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 17
thank's for those pic's . A update here . The spindle diameter whre teh thrust bearing & washers go is 30.1 mm & the bore for them is 44.40 mm . So it looke like I have room to go to a 44 mm bearing if I can find one with the 30 mm bore.
thanks
animal

Unless you have the ability to open up the ID on a cylindrical grinder, you should look for something that has the ID >= 30.1 mm. You can always make a bushing to adapt something with a larger ID. Much easier than grinding (unless you have the proper equipment).

Paolo

Back