What's new
What's new

Making and scraping a set of 24" Parllels

Richard King

Diamond
Hello. Hate to come across as self promotion but this is a great series on how to make a parallel, by John Saunders of NYC CNC fame on You Tube. His show on milling and grinding them and another You Tube he shot at Keith Rucker's Shop in Tipton GA on scraping it. On the show shows one of my classes. Hard to show their films that they took at my classes, so if that offends some, then don't watch them, The value of the instruction to YOU is what I want to show you. Note in show 2, I mention this forum. Also you will see PM members on the 2nd show. Also another You Tube by my friend in German Stefan G who was also taught by old member Nick Mueller. These are examples I can present backing up my knowledge unlike some members who make wild claims and are never backed up with facts!! Rich

Parallel Fail! We goofed! Machining & Grinding a 24" Parallel. WW129 - YouTube

Richard King Metal Scraping Class! - YouTube

What is scraping:

What is Metal Scraping? - YouTube

Also a GREAT You Tube from Stefan Gotteswinter who is also a PM member

Scraping basics - Scraping flat - Part 1 - YouTube

Last edited:
Rich,
I have watched all those videos recently, They are indeed good and give what I think is a proper representation of many of your methods, which from my limited experience work quite effectively. Those who wish to keep an open mind and try new or different methods will certainly learn, not just scraping machine tools mind you, but in any endeavor they may pursue. I admit, I have struggled with different ideas myself from time to time. Sometimes change is hard to accept especially when you are set in your ways. Complacency, ignorance or arrogance can have a nasty way of biting you in the ass when you least expect it or need it. ( don't ask me how I know this!)
Along those same lines, I coach a U-14 girls hockey team. I tell them nearly every game, keep your head up, your eyes open, look for opportunity, be creative and do not be afraid to try something new or different. when they do, it makes a difference. When they fall back on old bad habits it bites em every time.

In respect to scraping machine parts. By taking your class and simply learning in person from you about hinging and/or tapping a part on a surface plate with a mallet while listening for hollow spots has saved me countless hours of chasing my tail. Not to mention the rest of the information you impart.
Yeah, there are other ways too accomplish the same thing, however they way I was approaching it was not effective at all. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with so many of us. You could have easily rode off into the sunset, retired to the lake and never said a thing to anyone. I for one am thankful you did not.

I have been teaching some local kids about welding and mechanical repair work here lately, I think it is important to pay it forward and teach a new generation what we have learned. Rich you have done that in spades. Thank you Mr King.

Warren.

Last edited:
I was just watching those videos last week actually. I was happy to be able to put a face to your name. Nice job teaching Richard. I liked your relaxed style and made me with the sponser would have let me attend while you were in Oregon a couple years back. Hell, maybe it was last year IDK.

Also, NYC CNC has come along ways in just a few years. I am definitely a little jealous of his drive and motivation.

Well done Jon and Richard.

Back