What's new
What's new

Biax 8E Flaking Scraper Operating problems?

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk

About two weeks ago I received a Biax 8E Flaking scraper (FoC) with the front end stripped and the parts in a bag (there were also some 8EL parts too).

Biax- 8E-01s.jpg

Today I printed the parts list and checked all the parts were there to re-assemble it (all were present apart from the front hand strap fitting).

All went together well other than the small ball bearing race (#5) had to have the stud screw (#7) pressed through it.

BIAX 8E Parts Manual-P02MOD.jpg

Mating the front nose cap (#1) to the body was straight forward. The motor spindle (#26) simply was lined up to go through the elongated slot in the stud screw (#7) and the two parted pushed and secured with three M5 nuts (the ball bearing race sits in a groove around the motor shaft).

IMG_3404s.jpg

Now just plug in and test ... the motor ran BUT I saw no real movement on the tool holder (#9) and it simply slides (freely) to and fro full length of the operating gap.

Biax-8E-01s.jpg

Not what I expected ... should it be free to slide freely like this??

MTIA

John :typing:

No experience at all with the half-moon scrapers, let alone the older ones of the breed, but:- Are you meant to lean the cutter into the work in order to press the ball bearing on to the cam? A bit like a hammer drill not hammering until you lean on it.

The 1/2 moon flakes rock side to side and the are loose or free in and out. Another mistake..people figure the blade clamp is missing. Flakers only have a cap screw to hold the blade on the carrier. You
Can buy a speed control from Harbor Freight and slow it down and watch it rock. Flaker blade have a bottom and front radius. Many try to use scraper blades and it doesn't work to good.

The 1/2 moon flakers rock side to side and the are loose or free in and out. Another mistake.. people figure the blade clamp is missing. Flakers only have a cap screw to hold the blade on the carrier. You can buy a speed control from Harbor Freight and slow it down and watch it rock. Flaker blade have a bottom and front radius. Many try to use scraper blades and it doesn't work to good.

Many thanks Richard, I fitted the bottom tool clamp because I "Expected" it like the standard scraper so I'll take that part off and keep it as a spare part (Note to self, there was not one showing on the parts list! Doh!)

John :cheers:

this video shows what others have mentioned about the movement and shape of the blade

Back