What's new
What's new

Biax flaker travel - is this normal?

Mud

Diamond
My 8EM flaker allows the tool to pull out freely about 3/8". Otherwise it seems to operate OK. Is this normal? Is there any way to limit this?

Photo -

Flakertravel.jpg

Yes that is normal...

I assume the idea is so you can place it on the edge of the area you want to flake, then push forward...

That's correct, plus they don't have the clamp and rubber cushion that a scraper has. Lately i have been running it real slow, about 3 on the rheostat and I cn get a real nice pattern, compared to 5 and have to move super fast.....getting old and slow....ha ha....Rich

A quick question: I can't remember if the tool moves forward and backward at all? In addition to the side to side rocking motion of course. I've only ever used one once in 2011....
I'd love to find one at a reasonable (to me) price, but so far no luck. Considering adapting/modofying another powertool.....
Cheers,
Joe

It does move forward as it rocks, maybe 1/16" or so. I paid $500 for mine on ebay, that seems to be a low end of what a late flaker brings there. Not sure how you would make one from something else, if you do, be sure to show it off here.

I wonder if one of the oscillating 'multi-purpose tools' might be fitted with a scraping insert - at a funny angle of course - to get close to the motion of a flaker?
Might do some experiments.... No having the forward-backward motion might mean a smaller radius is needed to get the right 'flake' shape.... Not sure if the small oscillating angle is enough either.... I guess I'll just have to try and see.....

Just another re-purposing challenge I guess :)

Likee new 1/2 moon flaker

Hey everyone,

I just finished a 2 day class in West Virginia and this company scrapes babbitt and bought a new Biax 1/2 moon flaker. It has 2 blade holders with 4 screw on inserts. Paid over $3200.00 . PM me and I'll give you there name. We figure it has 15 min use. DAPRA will buy it back for less 20 %. He said they are going to put it on _bay . So if you want a good new one for 10 % off. Let. Me know and you can call them. Rich

Can you tell us why are they selling/disposing of the HM10? was it because they decided than manual flaking was simpler, because they bought it just for the course or for some other reason?

Expired minds want to know:).

regards
Mark

They bought the 1/2 moon thinking they needed it to put on the shoes. Many of the new shoes aren't scraped anymore as they have new high pressure oil lifts, but many of the shoes are still scraped,but not flaked. Kingsbury OEM does not 1/2 moon the babbitt shoes.

I taught at Kingsbury several years ago so when I showed them how to scrape the shoes with the BIAX. http://www.kingsbury.com/r-s-replacement.shtml.

The re-babbitt company said they wanted to return it. But not take. a 20% loss. DAPRA will take it back . The plant manger said they would take $3000.00. Or BO. I will ad pic's off scraping the shoe when I get home. I figure the forum rules would frown on me giving their name in public. Rich

edited: On laptop, as I wrote this first from my cell sitting in an airport, and I suck texting.

Last edited:
I knew most hobbyists would not be interested in it, but someone who has a lot of scraping and flaking to do or someone thinking of buying a new one, might like to buy a 15 minute used like new flaker for a less then a new one from DAPRA. I believe they will be putting it on Ebay next week. Rich

Back