Biax flaker travel - is this normal?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Biax flaker travel - is this normal?

My 8EM flaker allows the tool to pull out freely about 3/8". Otherwise it seems to operate OK. Is this normal? Is there any way to limit this?

Photo -

flakertravel.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes that is normal...

I assume the idea is so you can place it on the edge of the area you want to flake, then push forward...

3. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Makes sense, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    Yes that is normal...

I assume the idea is so you can place it on the edge of the area you want to flake, then push forward...
    That's correct, plus they don't have the clamp and rubber cushion that a scraper has. Lately i have been running it real slow, about 3 on the rheostat and I cn get a real nice pattern, compared to 5 and have to move super fast.....getting old and slow....ha ha....Rich

6. Likes Dresden liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A quick question: I can't remember if the tool moves forward and backward at all? In addition to the side to side rocking motion of course. I've only ever used one once in 2011....
    I'd love to find one at a reasonable (to me) price, but so far no luck. Considering adapting/modofying another powertool.....
    Cheers,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It does move forward as it rocks, maybe 1/16" or so. I paid $500 for mine on ebay, that seems to be a low end of what a late flaker brings there. Not sure how you would make one from something else, if you do, be sure to show it off here.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if one of the oscillating 'multi-purpose tools' might be fitted with a scraping insert - at a funny angle of course - to get close to the motion of a flaker?
    Might do some experiments.... No having the forward-backward motion might mean a smaller radius is needed to get the right 'flake' shape.... Not sure if the small oscillating angle is enough either.... I guess I'll just have to try and see.....

Just another re-purposing challenge I guess

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see there is a old 1/2 moon flaker on F- Bay and a few scrapers. I just thought I wuld let you know. I have no interest in them. Rich

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Richard! Been watching it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Likee new 1/2 moon flaker

Hey everyone,

I just finished a 2 day class in West Virginia and this company scrapes babbitt and bought a new Biax 1/2 moon flaker. It has 2 blade holders with 4 screw on inserts. Paid over $3200.00 . PM me and I'll give you there name. We figure it has 15 min use. DAPRA will buy it back for less 20 %. He said they are going to put it on _bay . So if you want a good new one for 10 % off. Let. Me know and you can call them. Rich

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you tell us why are they selling/disposing of the HM10? was it because they decided than manual flaking was simpler, because they bought it just for the course or for some other reason?

Expired minds want to know.

regards
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They bought the 1/2 moon thinking they needed it to put on the shoes. Many of the new shoes aren't scraped anymore as they have new high pressure oil lifts, but many of the shoes are still scraped,but not flaked. Kingsbury OEM does not 1/2 moon the babbitt shoes.

I taught at Kingsbury several years ago so when I showed them how to scrape the shoes with the BIAX. http://www.kingsbury.com/r-s-replacement.shtml.

The re-babbitt company said they wanted to return it. But not take. a 20% loss. DAPRA will take it back . The plant manger said they would take $3000.00. Or BO. I will ad pic's off scraping the shoe when I get home. I figure the forum rules would frown on me giving their name in public. Rich

edited: On laptop, as I wrote this first from my cell sitting in an airport, and I suck texting.
    Last edited by Richard King; 09-05-2014 at 06:11 AM.

15. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

$3200??

That is a lot of money, for what I am sure is a very nice tool.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are well built, but low sales volume tools. That has a bearing on the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know all that is involved in manufacturing and selling a power tool like that or what it costs to build, but I'm not sure which is more amazing, that a Biax sells for $3200, or that you can sell a complete V8 engine for less than half that. - GM Goodwrench 350ci/260HP Engine & Packages - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I knew most hobbyists would not be interested in it, but someone who has a lot of scraping and flaking to do or someone thinking of buying a new one, might like to buy a 15 minute used like new flaker for a less then a new one from DAPRA. I believe they will be putting it on Ebay next week. Rich