What's new
What's new

BIAX IV / EA Specifications and recommendations

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk
Just started scraping (Sadly because I need too!) and have seen a BIAX IV/EA here in the UK, but I can't find any specifications on that model or any recommendations pros/cons etc ... can you help please?

Biax01.jpg Biax04.jpg

Appreciate the model 7EL is the commonn one but if this IV(4) will do the job then I'll buy it.

John :typing:
(Norfolk/UK)

That's a real old timer. I am estimating it at about 1960. That motor was made for Biax by Bosch sand no repair parts are available unless you make them. If the 220 motor ran and if I was a hobby guy needing a scraper I may pay $300.00 tops.

I have one about that vintage that lost a bearing. They're noisy anyway but the real clue was some balls and pieces of ball retainer exiting from the vent holes. It uses open angular contact magneto bearings at each end so could be sorted out. I had to make a puller IIRC to grip the outer and extract it since the back end, at least, is installed in a blind hole. It seemed reasonably maintainable to me.

Even the much newer green Biax’s are now getting hard to find parts for as I found out last year. Thankfully the Detroit wizard can still fix em at a reasonable price and mine’s purring again. So, if you can fix the one you’re looking at and it’s very cheap, why not, but if I had the choice, I’d go for newer scraper.

L7

That's a real old timer. I am estimating it at about 1960. That motor was made for Biax by Bosch sand no repair parts are available unless you make them. If the 220 motor ran and if I was a hobby guy needing a scraper I may pay $300.00 tops.

Hi Richard - Thanks for your comments, sincerely appreciated!

I do think I'll benefit a power scraper. I've only done a few hours hand scraping guided by YouTube videos so this model may well suit :scratchchin:

In a previous life did have a very good model 7 over 15+ years ago but never used it so turned it into money for tooling that I did use.

Certainly here on eBay UK they are very rare so I'm looking overseas (Europe). Buying from the US is a no go really as they are 110V, highly priced and I'll pick up large import taxes ...

I may well go for this one to get me "back on the ladder" and upgrade over time as the situation demands. The price is not much more than your guide price and it is "Supposed" to be a good runner. If it is a 60's machine it "Looks" in good condition.

Thank L7 - Appreciate your reply and comments too.

As I've said above to Richard, it's a runner and should/could get the job done without "more significant" expense on a model 7 that may never get much use again.

Jersey John, just out of curiosity did you look into the price of a new black Biax? Saw Stephan Gotteswinter use one on one of his youtubes. Given the choice (if I didn’t have to pay for it) I get a new black BL 10. Used the older version of same in Richards class a few years ago and liked it better than the green 7 I own. My 7 was a sweetheart of a local deal tho, so I’ll just keep using it.

L7

Jersey John, just out of curiosity did you look into the price of a new black Biax? Saw Stephan Gotteswinter use one on one of his youtubes. Given the choice (if I didn’t have to pay for it) I get a new black BL 10. Used the older version of same in Richards class a few years ago and liked it better than the green 7 I own. My 7 was a sweetheart of a local deal tho, so I’ll just keep using it.

L7

Hi L7 - I've not seen a black Biax, I have only seen the green ones as shown on the german Biax website.

Who sells the black ones, are they European (220v/240v) or State side (110v) produced?

John:typing:

I assumed all Biax’s are made in Swiss/Germany. I could be wrong. Anyways, I’m not going to be buying another Biax anytime soon (I hope), just curious.

L7

Stefan and Jan S both have a new model from Biax. I helped them get a discount as they both have a huge following on You Tube. Stefan had a Renz brand an d Jan had one he bought from Tyrone shoe laces, You may check with Pete on here as he is in the UK and was the class co-ordinator of the class I taught there a few years back. I think he bought a new model and he may still have a Blue model he first started with. Biax has made several models over the years. First was silver and looked like a vacuum cleaner, then those blue ones. The head on them all looked the same but they switched motors models with the green Matabo motors about 20 years, then they started to make the new ones with the silver finish heards. BL 30 was aluminum and the BL-40 head was steel. Then about 20 years ago they switched to a Black motor made by GE I believe and in the last couple of years the switched back to a Black Matabo motor. The other company Renz basically copied the Biax, but it is so inferior I would never recommend one. There was another brand made in the UK years ago that had a cable feed. I hear they worked good.

We did a thread on them several years back. power scraper best ever ?

Hi folk ... a quick update.

Yesterday I purchased a 1967 Biax 7EL. What can I say: It switches on and works :) ... more than that I can't comment!

Here's the images:

Biax-7EL-05s.jpg Biax-7EL-06s.jpg Biax-7EL-07s.jpg Biax-7EL-08s.jpg Biax-7EL-09s.jpg

Now I need some spares like new brushes and brush covers (badly chewed) ...

Can anyone advise me of a Biax Repair Shop where I can get them in the US please.

Many thanks

John :cheers:

Brushes can be got in the same sizes or larger of generic tool repairs. If oversize, they're simple to file. The covers can be made from Delrin quite simply. Also applies to Hardinge/Bodine feed motors. :D

Brushes can be got in the same sizes or larger of generic tool repairs. If oversize, they're simple to file. The covers can be made from Delrin quite simply. Also applies to Hardinge/Bodine feed motors. :D

Thanks Mark ... time to start looking for brushes then ... got plenty Delrin too so what else could I be doing on a very windy rainy day in Norfolk :D or :drink:

John :cheers:

'Ang on I have a source for brushes. I'm sure...

BTW John you can make that 7EL vari-speed by removing the switch and robbing the speed control from a £20 Aldi/Lidl grinder - plus you get the benefit of a cheap grinder (that only works on full speed.

Brush cap I would simply make. Links coming up...

Back