What's new
What's new

Biax power scraping and flaking tools

CDiesel

Aluminum
So I have to start off by admitting I have never rattled around anywhere beside the antique machinery forum, and I don't know enough about the site policy to know if this is an acceptable post so please accept my apologies in advance if this is the wrong place.
So to the point, my father set up a machine shop from the ground up in about 1985 for a company that had previously just done heavy fabricating (ship parts). As part of the process of outfitting the shop they bought several very large used machines in need of rebuilding and subsequently hired an old German friend of my family who was an expert hand scraper to recondition the way surfaces. Thinking they would do him a favor the owners bought a brand new biax scraper, flaker, and set of blades. The story still makes me chuckle, he politely picked up the scraper, looked at it and smiled, put it back in the box and never touched it again. He was dead set against power tools.
Aside from my father subsequently experimenting with them just to satisfy his curiosity, they were never used.
So that brings us to today, the machine shop was shut down in the downturn of '08 and last winter the roof collapsed. Because of my father's original involvement and my subsequent involvement with doing machining projects for them when the need arises I was involved with the salvage effort. One of the things I brought to my shop were the biax scraping tools (pulled them out of a cabinet buried under the rubble). I had originally thought I may play with them but ended up deciding they are just too valuable to collect dust at my shop. So after talking to the owner we agreed the best course of action is to sell them. I was originally thinking eBay, but then I remembered seeing some discussion of scraping on here and decided to see if there is any interest here before going the eBay route.
There is a model 7 ELM, a model HM 10, and a cutter set that I'm not really sure what tool it goes with. I'm not exaggerating when I say these are as close to show room quality new as it is possible to get without having locked them in a vault for the last 35 years.IMG_20200809_204322340.jpgIMG_20200809_204103941.jpgIMG_20200809_205016128.jpg

Sorry to hear the shop closed down, and unfortunate the rebuilder didn’t want to use a power scraper; they save a tremendous amount of time (without compromising quality). Then again whatever tools he was comfortable with were the right tools for the job. Certainly if I were doing the rebuilds I would’ve appreciated the gesture! (And you would’ve saved money because the job would go faster)

The cutter set largely goes with the scraper, but there may be a couple flaker blades in there as well (flaker blades are radiused on the bottom broad surface, while scraper blades are have a large radius on their narrow end).

I’m interested in purchasing, as surely others will be depending on price. Do you have a price in mind?

How much do you want for each item? Folks do sell items in this forum, but there is a forum specifically designed for selling tools (check the commerce section).

So I have to start off by admitting I have never rattled around anywhere beside the antique machinery forum, and I don't know enough about the site policy to know if this is an acceptable post so please accept my apologies in advance if this is the wrong place.
So to the point, my father set up a machine shop from the ground up in about 1985 for a company that had previously just done heavy fabricating (ship parts). As part of the process of outfitting the shop they bought several very large used machines in need of rebuilding and subsequently hired an old German friend of my family who was an expert hand scraper to recondition the way surfaces. Thinking they would do him a favor the owners bought a brand new biax scraper, flaker, and set of blades. The story still makes me chuckle, he politely picked up the scraper, looked at it and smiled, put it back in the box and never touched it again. He was dead set against power tools.
Aside from my father subsequently experimenting with them just to satisfy his curiosity, they were never used.
So that brings us to today, the machine shop was shut down in the downturn of '08 and last winter the roof collapsed. Because of my father's original involvement and my subsequent involvement with doing machining projects for them when the need arises I was involved with the salvage effort. One of the things I brought to my shop were the biax scraping tools (pulled them out of a cabinet buried under the rubble). I had originally thought I may play with them but ended up deciding they are just too valuable to collect dust at my shop. So after talking to the owner we agreed the best course of action is to sell them. I was originally thinking eBay, but then I remembered seeing some discussion of scraping on here and decided to see if there is any interest here before going the eBay route.
There is a model 7 ELM, a model HM 10, and a cutter set that I'm not really sure what tool it goes with. I'm not exaggerating when I say these are as close to show room quality new as it is possible to get without having locked them in a vault for the last 35 years.View attachment 296218View attachment 296219View attachment 296220

Im interested in the HM10, what price are you looking for?

Phil

Clearly there's a lot of interest here. Count me among them for all you have.

Mark

The blades and inserts go the biax pictured with all the allen wrenches and replacement brushes (the first picture).
The second picture is the HM 10 "flaker", and the blade and an insert for it are in the lid. They made 4 different radius insert for the flaker. The radius available were 60, 90, 120 and 150 mm.

Thank you for all the input, obviously the most common question appears to be about a price and that is what I am most uncertain of. It's a strange situation, if I personally felt I could use these tools the owner would give them to me outright, but I don't feel right about accepting such valuable tools just for the sake of owning them. Hense my suggestion that they just get sold. I was thinking about $3000 for all of it but if breaking up the set makes more sense I'm open to suggestions.

You had to know Otto to really understand his objection to power scraping, he was a craftsman on an order that no longer exists. He served a full apprenticeship in Germany as a young man prior to world war 2 and the used his skills to emigrate to America after the war. Speed was never even a point to consider for him, only quality.

You had to know Otto to really understand his objection to power scraping, he was a craftsman on an order that no longer exists. He served a full apprenticeship in Germany as a young man prior to world war 2 and the used his skills to emigrate to America after the war. Speed was never even a point to consider for him, only quality.

When I was a young guy the chief draughtsman at the place I was working refused to use the new fangled " electronic calculators " and preferred to use his old slide rule.
That was until one day he misslaid the slide rule and was forced to borrow a colleagues calculator.
The slide rule stayed in his drawer after that.

The " BIAX " is just another labour saving device and anything that makes the job less arduous is ok in my book. Certainly for roughing out when you're scraping. There were people who enjoyed scraping, I wasn't one of them.

Regards Tyrone.

Thank you for all the input, obviously the most common question appears to be about a price and that is what I am most uncertain of. It's a strange situation, if I personally felt I could use these tools the owner would give them to me outright, but I don't feel right about accepting such valuable tools just for the sake of owning them. Hense my suggestion that they just get sold. I was thinking about $3000 for all of it but if breaking up the set makes more sense I'm open to suggestions.

Message sent.

I have been working some long hours lately so I haven't had much time to check this thread, feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you don't get a response from me on here. I'm having a hard time navigating this site on my phone.

I emailed a couple days ago, are these still for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back