BIAX Scraper Green motor replacement found
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default BIAX Scraper Green motor replacement found

Hello, A month or so ago, I wrote about the Green Metabo motor that BIAX used on the Biax scraper models back in the 1970's and 80's were discontinued and no repair parts were being sold again. I had a Russian Member of my Facebook page who has solved the problem. He talks about a pneumatic scraper, but the head is the same head as on the electric motor models. It is variable speed too. I checked on Amazon and a grinder complete, new was around $150.00. Here is what he wrote.

hello, I bought a pneumatic Biax, and decided to convert it to an electric one, for this I took an electrical part from a Bosch straight grinder, the first version came out very heavy and large, the length of the Biax is 530mm and the weight is 5300 grams, then I decided that it was necessary to redo it, in the final version the weight of the Biax was 4400 grams , and the length is 420mm, below in the comments.

The motor model of the Bosch GGS 27 grinder, I tried to scrape at low and medium speeds, I did not notice any lack of power.

He posted a video on my site, but I'm not sure how to transfer it here.

Will try to show photo's:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 231923345_878497526352935_15872179007607023_n.jpg   225305101_878650073004347_6999500878317794700_n.jpg  

2. Likes M.B. Naegle, 4GSR, jwearing, CharlyDE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also see on Amazon another motor on a grinder that looks like it may work. I plan on ordering it and seeing if I can convert it too. It's a VS Metabo HPT Angle Grinder selling for $170.00. There has to be thousands of those old green models out there that we can save. Biax told me the new motors they sell on the new $4000.00 machines won't fit the old models. Rich

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rich,

There is a Metabo jig-saw, model ST-EP 564, whose motor/switch/speed control assembly is an identical drop-in replacement for the Biax. The only thing that's different is the name sticker. They turn up regularly on German Ebay, you can get a shiny used one for 100 Euros and a beater for 30 or 40. Here are links to a couple of them:

Metabo ST EP 564 Stichsage Sage in Rheinland-Pfalz - Herforst | eBay Kleinanzeigen

Pendelhubstichsage Metabo St EP 564 550 Watt in Rheinland-Pfalz - Berschweiler | eBay Kleinanzeigen

These are 230VAC models, but I imagine that they also made a 120V version. Can someone else here provide the exact model number for that one?

Cheers,
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bruce, We had a Brazilian and American member of the facebook group mentioned this a few months ago when we started to play detective on this and a couple of us tried to find that saw over here. I even called Metabo USA and they said that saw motor is not made or parts supplied over here any more. I checked back on ebay sold archive and found one. So that isn't an option over here or down in Brazil. He had converted his scraper with a used one, but used ones are not sold to often. I figure if someone has one, they use it and toss it when it wears out. The saw probably cost around $100.00. Biax told me the reason the scrapers cost so much, it's not the motors, it's the scraper mechanisms. Biax makes make 1000 scrapers a year and those saws Metabo made millions.

Here is where Biax makes their $$ https://youtu.be/JxJw-sLJh90

EFA Germany - The full range of machines for every slaughter plant and industrial meat processing factory. - Company - Portrait
    Last edited by Richard King; 08-05-2021 at 12:00 PM.

6. Likes ballen, 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Richard I copied your post and made a sticky for it at the top of the page.

Charles

8. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Country
    RUSSIAN FEDERATION
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    I also see on Amazon another motor on a grinder that looks like it may work. I plan on ordering it and seeing if I can convert it too. It's a VS Metabo HPT Angle Grinder selling for $170.00. There has to be thousands of those old green models out there that we can save. Biax told me the new motors they sell on the new $4000.00 machines won't fit the old models. Rich
    I have a question all the time. Why can't I put a power tool speed controller on an old Biax model? I think this will work well.
    for example like this: 1PC Angle Grinder Polishing Machine Speed Controller Switch Electric Power Tools | eBay
    Now you can 3D print the regulator body to neatly attach the regulator to the motor.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    The motor model of the Bosch GGS 27 grinder, I tried to scrape at low and medium speeds, I did not notice any lack of power.
    He posted a video on my site, but I'm not sure how to transfer it here.
    I didn't find the facebook post related to this thread.

The 1st photograph shows, that he made one stage of the gearbox by himself.
    The 2nd photograph shows the Bosch part number 0 601 210 703. That's an european 230-V-version of a Bosch GGS 27 C.
    The armature (same for 220 V and 230 V versions) inside has the part number 2 604 010 769 (photograph on ebay) and is used in the machines:
    - GGS 27 C (Straight Grinder)
    - POF 600 ACE (Router)
    - FBZ 40-30 (Cutting Drill Center)
    - GKF 600 CE (Trimmer)

The end of that armature has no gear; it's a collet chuck. Which gear did he use und how the gear has been fastened onto the armature?

Cheers,
    Karl

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickki View Post
    I have a question all the time. Why can't I put a power tool speed controller on an old Biax model? I think this will work well.
    for example like this: 1PC Angle Grinder Polishing Machine Speed Controller Switch Electric Power Tools | eBay
    Now you can 3D print the regulator body to neatly attach the regulator to the motor.
    I'm not sure about the switch you linked, but I use a Variac transformer on my old blue Biax. Mine's a much older version of this:Bench Top 20 Amp Variac Variable Auto-Transformer with LCD Digital Display

It vary's the voltage of brushed AC motors to vary the speed. I don't see that little switch having the same effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The facebook info is inside my Private Forum. King-Way Scraping Consultants. Join it and find out how and why. He just showed an old 1//2 moon flaker too.

13. Likes CharlyDE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    I'm not sure about the switch you linked, but I use a Variac transformer on my old blue Biax. Mine's a much older version of this:Bench Top 20 Amp Variac Variable Auto-Transformer with LCD Digital Display

It vary's the voltage of brushed AC motors to vary the speed. I don't see that little switch having the same effect.

Just a guess, but the little switch speed control is likely a PWM module, or it controls one. It should present a torque advantage over a variac at lower speeds. If your setup works fine, there's nor reason to fret over alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I fitted a PWM grinder speed control to my blue Biax and it works great.

Also I have this evening removed the original 110v motor from my green BIAX and replaced it complete with a 240v motor from a Metabo Jigsaw. I can confirm that the motor is a direct swap with no issues whatsoever. The donor jigsaw is Metabo STEP 700 Quick.

16. Likes sfriedberg, ballen, Richard King liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    I have this evening removed the original 110v motor from my green BIAX and replaced it complete with a 240v motor from a Metabo Jigsaw. I can confirm that the motor is a direct swap with no issues whatsoever. The donor jigsaw is Metabo STEP 700 Quick.
    That's good news, as it means that both the Metabo ST EP 564 and ST EP 700 Quick have compatible motors.

18. Likes Peter. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    That's good news, as it means that both the Metabo ST EP 564 and ST EP 700 Quick have compatible motors.
    Yes and all of the motor internals from the STEP 565 will swap over but being top-handled the speed control will not.

20. Likes CharlyDE liked this post