BIG surface plate...what to do...
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default BIG surface plate...what to do...

So I have found a surface plate for sale in this state... But it is fairly large at 100 inches X 60 inches, 12 inches thick.... oh and 3 tonnes in weight...

Realistically it is much larger then I need and thus am unsure of what to do.....

The catch is, it may be the only plate that will come up for sale within this state for decades... Surface plates do not grow on trees here, and when they do come up they are old ones that look like a miner has been prospecting them with his rock hammer..

What to do is the question..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    So I have found a surface plate for sale in this state... But it is fairly large at 100 inches X 60 inches, 12 inches thick.... oh and 3 tonnes in weight...

Realistically it is much larger then I need and thus am unsure of what to do.....

The catch is, it may be the only plate that will come up for sale within this state for decades... Surface plates do not grow on trees here, and when they do come up they are old ones that look like a miner has been prospecting them with his rock hammer..

Easy.

A) Seek a source for protective booties to cover your workboots, and make sure the treads on the staircase leading up to it are non-skid.

B) At weekends and hols, put up a sign: "Ayers" and hire an Abo to stand on one leg and charge admission to septic tourists.
    Abo is in traditional garb ("and rather less than 'arf o' that behind..".), they'll not notice they've been shorted on the size of the rock anyway.

Seen one, seen 'em all.

Problem solved?

Bill

3. Likes Demon73, 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lol.
    Just buy it, you know you wanna!

5. Likes Dresden liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the only x__________________x that will come up for sale within this state for decades.
    We all need to get a pad of those printed up as standard forms to placate Her Indoors.

Have a lot of backfilling to do. Applies to just about everything under roof here.

Photos of how you move and mount the plate, please.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy the rock. You have a truck with a Hiab crane plus a ton of farm equipment, I fail to understand the problem....

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem is the outlay of money that could most likely be better spent elsewhere on lathe and mill tooling..

plate-1.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yabbut when you die, you'll have the best gravestone in the cemetery

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it were Montana we could saw it in half and split the cost!

11. Likes climb-101 liked this post
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've posted this before; one of my great recent regrets:

At the Hardinge factory auction, they sold 2 that size. One went for $50, the other for $100.
    I wanted to bid so bad, but was afraid my wife would kill me on the rigging to get it over the hill to my shop.

As it turns out, she was extremely peeved that I did _not_ buy one or both, so she could sand blast patterns in the granite and put one up on end for my shop sign, or for yard art. She still asks when I get an auction flyer: "do they have any of those really big granite blocks?"

Buy it. If the price is right, you're more likely to regret not getting it that the opposite. And if there is no space, turn it into a marker/monument/shop sign.

smt

13. Likes crashtestdummy, Spyderedge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

do you know what grade it is/was? for my purposes, for example, grade b would be useless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem is the outlay of money that could most likely be better spent elsewhere on lathe and mill tooling..
    The lathe and mill tooling will still be there

If you're sure you will never need anything this large, then let it go. Regardless of how cheap something is, or how much it sold for when new, if something has no real value to you, and no resale value to anyone else, it's not worth buying. I always laugh when I see somebody buying something on the pretence "do you know how much these things cost when new?" (More often accompanied by a nod toward a pathetically small clapped out rust encrusted POS shaper that last turned 80 years prior!). But I think you'd need to be quite sure in your mind, as realistically what do you think the chances are of anything like this coming up again in your area?

So, when will you be picking it up

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, you say surface plates don't come up for sale in your state, and that one is larger than you need (larger than a lot of people need.) So if I were you I'd think hard about buying it, cutting it into suitable size pieces, and then selling the others. This assumes that (a) it starts out at the right grade and (b) you can lay hands on tools to cut it and (c) it will still be (mostly) the right grade when you are done. The location of the mounting points could be an issue.

I have a 2' x 4' surface plate in my shop (biggest size my pickup could handle at the time) and sometimes wish it was bigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

plate-1.jpg
    What is the delta cash outlay versus buying a new 2' x 3' delivered from some local supplier?

CarlBoyd

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlBoyd View Post
    What is the delta cash outlay versus buying a new 2' x 3' delivered from some local supplier?

CarlBoyd
    Bingo.

Beauty of it is that you can vet the best part of it for precise work. Use the less-perfect for day-to-day. Not worry overmuch about a tad of deterioration. Still have the whole run, albeit with perhaps some compensating to do if/as/when a really big task appears - scarce as such tasks usually are.

(or so dreameth he presently limited to a mere 9" x 12" AA and 18" x 24" grade B)

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That looks to be a very nice surface table. I'm not sure about the stand, it doesn't seem to fit the table to me. I once got the job of unloading and installing one about twice that size. For some reason or other I had to roll it over first. Maybe it came from the makers upside down. I know it weighed 8 tons ( 16,000 lbs ) because I weighed it on the crane scales. My heart was in my mouth until it was safely located on the stand the right way up !

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also thought the stand didn't look right. Looks too short to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F View Post
    The lathe and mill tooling will still be there

If you're sure you will never need anything this large, then let it go. Regardless of how cheap something is, or how much it sold for when new, if something has no real value to you, and no resale value to anyone else, it's not worth buying.
    That is just it I dare say I will never need anything this large... Half the size yea would be nice but not essential either... I did some calculations last night in bed... By the time you hire a forklift, get it on site, and get a carrier to bring it up, if I had any change from $2000 I would be surprised... collection and freight can really jack up the price...

$2000 could buy me a lot of needed lathe and mill tooling rather then a not needed surface table...

Story is it came from South Africa out of a business that did amongst other things machine tool rebuild work for the government (remember South Africa had sanctions against it way back then).. When the government changed the businesses thought that shifting part of the business to Brisbane to start a machine tool rebuild shop was a good idea.... Well seemed like a good idea when looking at it from South Africa anyway..

22. Likes Pete F liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see many large plates mounted low like that, I assume it's because the parts put on it are large/tall and hard to reach if the plate is waist height.

The catch is, it may be the only plate that will come up for sale within this state for decades...
    So go ahead and buy it. That will assure that a more appropriate sized plate will appear for almost nothing much closer to you in just a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AND the mother load of lathe and mill tooling that fits your machines will go on sale nearby too...

25. Likes thermite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

plate-1.jpg
    Now that someone 'outed' it on the other forum, I'm going 'hmmmm' to myself given the current price. I'm used to being ripped off for freight anyway. If you're not going to bid on it, drop me a line because I might. I don't need it but that's never stopped me in the past....

PDW