blueing (new approach)
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    ch
    Posts
    3,314
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    275
    Likes (Received)
    460

    Default blueing (new approach)

    im proposing to use copper sulphate to check taper-fit, lobing and such.

    instead of messing with blue, spreading it with various methods trying to achieve an acceptable distribution, you have a jar with a copper sulphate solution that can be used forever. you dunk the taper in there for a few seconds (depending on temp.) and get an extremely uniform coating of copper. sub micron thickness, if you want. i managed to chip off a piece that i consider very thick and it was 3µ. the copper layer is soft and rubs off easily. what stays behind is a faint glaze, like after using a bronze brush on steel.

  2. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Country
    NAMIBIA
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    112
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Nice idea ! Congrats !

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2166
    Likes (Received)
    2154

    Default

    Might work decently, just take care. A small amount of copper sulfate ingestion (get it on your hands, eat a sandwich) can make you very sick or even kill you.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Country
    NAMIBIA
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    112
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Might work decently, just take care. A small amount of copper sulfate ingestion (get it on your hands, eat a sandwich) can make you very sick or even kill you.
    That's interesting. I was told it's toxic but in the same time I think it is widely used to spray grape vines against some fungus. I wonder now how safe that is.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    230
    Likes (Received)
    375

    Default

    They use copper sulphate to treat pond algae all over the country. The side effect is it kills all the invertebrates and some amphibians in the water but not the fish.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    ch
    Posts
    3,314
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    275
    Likes (Received)
    460

    Default

    its used in gardening, thats why it so cheap.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    19,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2403
    Likes (Received)
    3652

    Default

    Interesting thought. Already used prior to scribing lines for layout in the old days.

    Might be a little more difficult to remove for another spotting, and so might build up on areas not rubbed off if repeated.

    Toxicity is not extreme, here is an SDS entry for the lethal doses:

    Animal Toxicity: Dermal LD50 > 8000 mg/kg,Acute oral LD50 (male rats) 472 mg/kg

    That's 8 grams per kg on skin, and about a half gram per kg if ingested. I'd not think anyone is likely to get that by accident if even the least precautions are taken.

    http://msds.mkap.com/DryFertilizer/CopperSulfate.pdf

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2166
    Likes (Received)
    2154

    Default

    Yes doubtful that it will kill you if you don't make the sandwich out of it, but it can make you sick, and is an extreme eye irritant IIRC. I am a little cautious having little children in the house. You could probably eat regular hi spot bluing for a snack with no ill effects... And I think a very thin layer of copper would be much more difficult to see, but do let us know.

    Use as an insecticide or algae killer is in very dilute concentrations - that's a little different than handling the pure full strength form from the bottle.

  10. Likes Orbital77 liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Country
    NAMIBIA
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    112
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Yes doubtful that it will kill you if you don't make the sandwich out of it, but it can make you sick, and is an extreme eye irritant IIRC. I am a little cautious having little children in the house. You could probably eat regular hi spot bluing for a snack with no ill effects... And I think a very thin layer of copper would be much more difficult to see, but do let us know.

    Use as an insecticide or algae killer is in very dilute concentrations - that's a little different than handling the pure full strength form from the bottle.
    I believe you are right. I remember how quite a few times after eating unwashed grapes on the farm as a child, I would get quite sick. They were sprayed with cooper sulfate but nobody knew it's toxic.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    ch
    Posts
    3,314
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    275
    Likes (Received)
    460

    Default

    i believe its used as stump-killer, where you spread the granules on the stump.

    anyway, it might even be usefull for scraping/spotting, havent tried that yet. if you really want to remove the haze a peroxide/sufphuric solution will do it fast. of a concentration you can stick your finger into.

    i recently inside-ground some rings, id was 12 mm i believe. i treated them with c.s. and when rubbing on a grinding arbor found "extreme" lobing. "extreme" in view of the fact that film thickness was probably 0.5µ. there were 4 lobes, disposing of the notion that you get uniform pressure from a er collet. now, i dont think this could have been done with blue, lead of thatever else that needs spreading.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2166
    Likes (Received)
    2154

    Default

    It would be interesting to compare to the gold standard... Black Sharpie!

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    272
    Likes (Received)
    83

    Default

    be careful that stuff rust like crazy if you don't treat it (oil)

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    ch
    Posts
    3,314
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    275
    Likes (Received)
    460

    Default

    we dont have "sharpies", but very often a felt pen will not colour a smooth taper very well. at least the ones i know of.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    62
    Likes (Received)
    94

    Default

    Just use denatured a!cool instead, no methanol it's poisonous, run it on let dry to a haze, rub on the surface plate to show shiny spots perfect for straight edge finishing

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,812
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    141
    Likes (Received)
    1059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Just use denatured a!cool instead, no methanol it's poisonous, run it on let dry to a haze, rub on the surface plate to show shiny spots perfect for straight edge finishing

    Denatured alcohol is poisonous too FWIW.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    19,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2403
    Likes (Received)
    3652

    Default

    it often is "denatured" by adding methyl alcohol to ethyl.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •