What's new
What's new

Box-way machines - Machine the underside of the box-ways?

Elitebook

Plastic
How to the makers of box-way style CNC lathes prepare the underside of the box-ways?

In the photos I have seen they usually have two sets of ways - one for the turret (upper set) and one for the tailstock (lower set). Access to the underside of the innermost rails seems to be very limited for preparing the surface. At least not while maintaining a visual during the operation.

To my understanding the underside does not have to have the same tolerance as the top surface for various reasons however they surely must be machined?

I'm thinking that they have some sort of special tools that they use after they have ground/scraped the top and the sides of each box-way.

Any suggestions or know how on how It's done?

How to the makers of box-way style CNC lathes prepare the underside of the box-ways?

In the photos I have seen they usually have two sets of ways - one for the turret (upper set) and one for the tailstock (lower set). Access to the underside of the innermost rails seems to be very limited for preparing the surface. At least not while maintaining a visual during the operation.

To my understanding the underside does not have to have the same tolerance as the top surface for various reasons however they surely must be machined?

I'm thinking that they have some sort of special tools that they use after they have ground/scraped the top and the sides of each box-way.

Any suggestions or know how on how It's done?

since milling properly done you can get .0003" per 40" tolerances there is often no need to scrape or grind. deep grooves are milled in when you want guaranteed oil flow from oil lube holes spreading out
been that way easily over 50 years possibly over 200 years now. milling is a science and like anything else there is a learning curve.

Back