What's new
What's new

Box way rust

twmcree

Aluminum
How would y'all recommend addressing this surface rust?

17d8b7d95a4ec1d1dda39f1c8527b862.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I would skip scotch brite and use a new razor blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The CNC lathe that I'm re-commissioning had similar problems having sat idle since 2008.

I removed what I could with a soft steel scraper, then stoned with a slip stone and plenty of oil.Came out ok in the end but I was anxious not to grind the carriage up and down before things were a bit cleaner

Attachments

• Rust-On-Box-Ways-#2.jpg
    Rust-On-Box-Ways-#2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 135
Thank y'all.

Woke up this morning to find a bit more rust on ways. Bad fog today.

Checked the magic 8-ball for some advice - told me that a dehumidifier is likely to loom in my future.

Yes, if you're in the Gulf Air you NEED a dehumidifier.

I live in New England within 20 miles of the Atlantic Ocean. Summer dew points locally tend to hover in the high 50s low 60s as this is the ocean temperature not far away. EXCEPT on those days in the summer when a southwest wind occurs, which is from July 1st through September 1st. Then I get a direct blast up the eastern seaboard which is humid and hot. Dew point 76 and 98 degrees.

So I run a dehumidifier during this period in both shop and basement.

The garage floor sweats most of the summer (cold concrete humid air) and any machinery left out there is rust-bait. But the adjacent shop remains dry and surprisingly cool.

Dehumidfier runs about $30 a month - but it saves a lot of elbow grease and frustration.

Joe in NH

Looks like that a clearance surface, so it's nothing to get to worried about. No sign or wear just rust. Clean it up like the others have said. I would take a 001 or 0015 feeler gage and check to be sure the way wipers are touching after you take them off and clean them and under them. NO AIR HOSE. :-)

61039be02469fc6eb5b0c247a7aaee1a.jpg

All day yesterday, last night, and probably today - shop was a wreck. Really sucks watching specks of rust pop up all over exposed ways... Your assets are dear to your heart, ya know.

Hustled all day to make time to get machine together enough to wash it down with coolant, scrub rust specks, and cycle axes.

d6070d5fa5c06b19d0edf810597395fe.jpg

Hopefully this setup will get me by until I can invest in a stiffer crutch - commercial dehumidifier. Took approx 2 gallons out of shop last night. Floor still sweating a bit, but not nearly as bad as it would have been.

Dehumidfier runs about $30 a month - but it saves a lot of elbow grease and frustration.

That is a pretty cheap price go pay for peace of mind... Cannot imagine what it would be like to deal with the weather that you described on a semi-regular basis.

Looks like that a clearance surface, so it's nothing to get to worried about. No sign or wear just rust. Clean it up like the others have said. I would take a 001 or 0015 feeler gage and check to be sure the way wipers are touching after you take them off and clean them and under them. NO AIR HOSE. :-)

Will do. Thanks for weighing in here Rich - your experienced insight is much appreciated.

Wagner.

Machine is fully enclosed? Might be better off with a heater inside, keep the machine temp height enough to prevent condensation

Machine is fully enclosed? Might be better off with a heater inside, keep the machine temp height enough to prevent condensation

10-4. The heat lamps in pics are a temporary 9pm fix last night. Have a part en route to repair a real heat source... It was one of those days.

Try wiping the surfaces down with lanolin. Supposedly an old time trick to prevent moisture from getting into the surface. Apparently this works pretty well. I bought a bottle off eBay for 7 or 8 bucks last week.

Also, if the machine is indeed enclosed, even a small light bulb in the case will likely keep humidity at bay.

Glenn

In a previous location, I used a medium-sized household dehumifier (Sears, if they're still in business this year...) to dry out the shop. I finally gave up on the internal condensate tank, which had to be emptied at least once a day and sometimes twice, and just added a hose to drain directly into a floor drain.

Back