What's new
What's new

Boyar Schultz 612 spindle bearings

Bbk_Bbk

Aluminum
Well, my good ol boyar Schultz 612 finally decided that is was going to crap out on me and began screaming at me yesterday. So I need to replace the spindle bearings. First off I have zero experience with this and I can not be without my surface grinder for more then a couple days.

I believe I have the older type with a fixed motor. Can anyone help me out with where to get the correct bearings, and just offer any guidance. I would be forever grateful!
008709a4febeb5df502b7942ec87dda2.jpg

37838d2e4d1399df7598cd055ef2ff47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should get you started- Boyar Schultz 612 Spindle Rebuild

Mine were pretty easy. I'm not sure about that belt rig. It's not what the bearing system was designed for and you have to be careful of any loading towards the front of the machine, as that works against the preload. The torque on the vertical ways probably isn't a great thing either, but if it gets the job done...

The belt rig is Built out of aluminum and is maybe 10 lbs. all thin and hollow. I have been running it for 7 years with zero problems. Other then bearings now.

So can anyone confirm the exact bearings I need to order for this machine?

So can anyone confirm the exact bearings I need to order for this machine?

I did a bearing clean out and lube in 2019. The problem was an occasional bearing growl and quick coast down. Cleaning and new lube solved both issues.

Mine is a later (1981) "Challenger" model. And the bearing numbers did not match the parts list that I had. So here is what I found. YMNV

Small rear bearing mounted with numbers to inside. Bearing is Fafnir 204k MM C2. Bearing feels loose after cleaning. I think the C2 marking means std commercial grade.
Large bearings marked MRC 205R DS ABEC7 M47 s2. Assembled markings to inside. Spindle grease Chevron SRI-2. Small bearing takes 1.5cc and each of the larger ones take 2.0cc of grease.

John

Don't forget that the motor has bearings as well. Have you 100% isolated your bearing noise to the spindle itself and not a motor bearing.

Stuart

Thanks John, I suppose I’ll need to treat it apart first.

Atom, yes, when I turn the spindle it feels a little rough and I can hear it. Now Mine has been occasionally growling for a long time. It would growl, then quit, growl and quit. The other day it got real loud so I stopped using it. But today it has quieted down a little, so I’m left thinking it’s the spindle bearings. Mine doesn’t have the original motor on it. It was modified to run on a single phase motor that was rather crudely adapted, but it works great!

Just ordered the tormach 612. Don’t have the time to mess around. [emoji1690]

Yes. Very much a step down.
As soon as they growled once,
they were probably spanked.
My pre-challenger model has separate balls and cages and races.
Kinda like bicycle headstock bearings. I think it is a 1962 model.
And that motor is a rig. Totally wrong motor that someone bodged on
to the original bracket.
Now I have seen the Tormach. Engineering wise, it is a bit questionable.
I would not expect it to last as many years as the Boyar Shultz.
But if it makes you money in the here and now, maybe it was a
good choice.

-Doozer

Everything is a step down from the 60’s guys. I need a surface grinder for every single part I build, it’s a must. Every week I’m down is 10k out of my pocket so ordering the machine from tormach was a no brainer. It’ll pay for itself in no time, can sit in the corner and do its job well I’m working on other stuff. After dressing the Chuck I will install a belt conversion and get to work. The grinder can’t be too bad, I have two good friends with it and they love it.

I kept the boyar Schultz and will maybe fix it if I get some spare time, but it’s unlikely. It is still running and stopped growling so maybe the bearings just needs repacked.

Back