What's new
What's new

brayer? hard? soft? cheap?

metalmagpie

Titanium
I have yet to scrape outside of class. Forrest told us to buy a brayer from Michael's art supply. Now I'm tooling up for a scraping project and I have yet to buy a brayer.

I don't know what attributes a brayer should have. Should it be soft? Hard? 3"? 4"?

Any specific recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks,

metalmagpie

Richard had mentioned in one of his recent threads that he was going to do a demonstration of the differences. I dont know if he has posted it yet. Please check some of his recent posts and see if you can see the reference.

Charles

I use a hard brayer sold to roll linoleum onto glue. Works fine, and cheap at Canadian Tire. Prob also at Lowes... Doesn’t leave bits of crap like soft foam rollers.

L7

Thanks. I ordered a 4" Essdee Deluxe from Dick Blick. I have long believed good tools are worth paying for. Anyway, it's only a bit more than the brayer at the local art store.

metalmagpie

If you change those soft rollers when they get worn the crap would not be an issue. BIAX Germany sells both as I now use both. soft to spread in the beginning and a hard roller for finish. I also have tried those tile rollers and they work good.

The style of brayer is a personal preference, just like what you use for spotting ink. What works for me doesn't work for others, obviously by the posts above. Brayers aren't that expensive so buy one of each and make your own decision.

My preference: I use the cheap foam rollers because they actually remove dust and specks of dirt and I use Canode blue exclusively.

Like the Nike ads, just do it.

Back