What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Clone Making a Rattling Noise

pdu

Plastic
Hello,

I have a 5HP Bridgeport style mill with a variable speed drive that makes a rattling noise that comes and goes constantly. It happens in high, low and neutral and appears louder to me at slower speeds. From reading these forums the rattling noise could be the belt or plastic bushings or perfectly normal I don't know as I haven't heard many other mills. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if the noise is normal or is there indeed something wrong with the head on this mill?

Video: YouTube

Thanks.

It is probably the Nylatron bushings and keys that are worn as the VS pulleys are wobbling as they spin. If it doesn't stop when you shift it into high low clutches which rattle when they are worn too. Or it is a combination of worn bushings, keys, bearings and belt. There are several You Tube shows on this. I would watch all of H&W shows on how to. Or send them a email as they are the premier Bridgeport rebuilder in the states. They also sell parts for the Taiwanese Millport.

YouTube

I have never heard of that brand so it must be an Australian brand. I see on the net, these guys in Australia. Hopefully they have parts. Your going to have to take it apart as there is no quick fix. If you can't do it yourself - Phil is a machine repairman down under.

Advanced Machine Tools
Factory 12, 15-21 Rhur Street,Dandenong,VIC,3175

Phillip Fehring
P & L Machine Tools Pty. Ltd.
24 Bostock Court
Thomastown Victoria 3074
Australia
Tel: +613 9466 3655
Mob: 0412 555 326
[email protected]

Think about this. Your driving your Ford and it starts to make this engine noise. Ignore it and just drive the car. Like the TV commercial says "you can pay me now (cheap oil filter) or you can pay me later (expensive engine rebuild)

If it does it with the spindle in neutral it's almost certainly the nylatron bushings and/or belt as Richard pointed out. I have one with the same issue. They don't crack and break then seize like bridgeports, but they're harder/more expensive to find. They're bigger and splined and so of course a lot more expensive than the simple thin plastic ones. The closest I've found is Jet, who has a variable speed machine that uses them. They want just over $100 each for them and there's no guarantee they'd fit.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I took the front cover of (the variable speed one) and tried switching it on and I didn't feel any rattling coming from the pully and there is absolutely no give or wobble in it. Would I feel it? I was planning to take it apart this weekend but not sure now after listening to the mill in the video posted by @partsproduction the mill in that video sounds about the same to me as mine....I guess i will try find the distributor of Eumega mills here in Aus (if they are still around) and see if they all have it.

PS I purchased the mill used so I don't know if it always sounded that way. But from the condition was in it didn't look like it was used very much. All the paint and ways are in really good condition etc. It was used mainly for drilling. So it could have had a lot of spindle run time though.

The belt is compressed with the rear pully spring, so the wobble can't be discovered unless you loosen the spring. That noise is not normal, can you imagine going to a show and listening to that and buy the mill? It would be like buying a car with an engine knock. Or run it until you screw it up bad. You could probably take the head off and send it to Phil Flehring if your unsure of your ability. Did you call or email him?

Phillip Fehring
P & L Machine Tools Pty. Ltd.
24 Bostock Court
Thomastown Victoria 3074
Australia
Tel: +613 9466 3655
Mob: 0412 555 326
[email protected]

Well I have finally disassembled the head and it is indeed the nylon bushings. There is hardly any wobble on the shaft but there are shiny spots on the shaft that indicate is is wobbling :( I measured the bushings and they are 0.05mm oversize in certain spots.

Now the problem is I cannot for the life of me find anyone who has spare parts for this mill or a Taiwanese mill that has similar bushings that I can use. The shaft is 48mm in diameter. Does anyone have any ideas what to do?

Make new bushings?

That's exactly what I did for a customers 'Birmingham' vari-drive mill.

As a backup I ordered some from H&W Machine (Jon's place) with the caveat there bushings were probably different and would not fit, and of course they were correct.

The ones I made solved the rattling problem.

Stuart

If I were in this situation, I would research mills that looked the same, and make the crazy assumption that they were the same, and find one that looks the same that still has support, and order those bushings. In the grand scheme of things, not a lot of money to risk

@gustafson Thanks for the suggestion not many dealers here in Australia and I am waiting for a reply from a couple of them. This mill is well made but a bit non standard. For example quill is 106mm and not 105 like it is on most.

@atomarc How did you make the bushing? My concern is the thin wall thickness needed and getting a smooth finish.

Back