What's new
What's new

Bridgeport way scraping cost

I asked Rick at A&D Machine Rebuilding in Roberts WI last month and he told me a grind and scrape was around $4500.00 plus parts, head, lube system repair, paint, etc. He can also install a new auto lube, DRO, coolant, ball screws, power-feed etc. All extra.

I think shop rate around MN is $85.00 to $125.00 per hour.

I used to figure 50 to 60 hours plus grinding the table cost. This did not include the head, but included scraping, part, painting, etc.. This did include tear down, cleaning and assembly of main parts withe new biJur metering units.. I asked Rick and I think he told me $8500.00 to 12,500.00 for a complete rebuild a non chromed machine. Best to ask him to be sure. 715-749-3065

Sam please edit your profile to include your location, look in the upper rt corner of your post and compare it to Richards. You will see were your location is missing. This is a forum requirement, if you do not fix this you will loose your posting privileges.

Richard that seems cheap for all that , painting included? Not a bad deal, of course it has to meet the customers expectations. :)

Charles

The treatment plant where I work hade ours ground all over, scraped and turcite installed, it cost $6k. After it was reassembled we checked it against a master square with a .0001" indicator and I couldn't see the needle move over 12" anywhere I placed it on the table.
It was done in Gresham Oregon.

The treatment plant where I work hade ours ground all over, scraped and turcite installed, it cost $6k. After it was reassembled we checked it against a master square with a .0001" indicator and I couldn't see the needle move over 12" anywhere I placed it on the table.
It was done in Gresham Oregon.

Wow! That's remarkable! That is better than new!

Brent

Rick also told me he was thinking of charging more. I think he said a new was around $30,000.00 and was thinking 1/2 the price of new was reasonable.
I had to get several quotes for replacement machines to justify the repair cost to management before the repair. I was careful to get quotes for machines equipt as well as the BP and they ranged from $18K to as high as $38K for a Wells Index.

I thought a new bridgeport was around $16 000..

I doubt it would be worth rebuilding.... Easier to buy a new clone... wheel it in... start working...

Well I am not sure what the price is for a new one, however the difference is usually the same here as everywhere else. The catalog has the price but the invoice has the cost. :D

Charles

I'll check on Monday.. and post it here. Over here "Bridgeport" is like the Holy-Grail knee mills and as you know was the first mass produced machine everyone copied. and people buy the name. Since Hardinge bought the company I believe the quality has got a lot better then when Textron owned them.

The newer BP's castings are much lighter from what I have heard, not nearly as rigid without the mass of an older machine. A victim of the cost cutting by the pound mentality of the modern consume it and throw it away business model of recent years.

I asked Rick at A&D Machine Rebuilding in Roberts WI last month and he told me a grind and scrape was around $4500.00 plus parts, head, lube system repair, paint, etc. He can also install a new auto lube, DRO, coolant, ball screws, power-feed etc. All extra.

I think shop rate around MN is $85.00 to $125.00 per hour.

I used to figure 50 to 60 hours plus grinding the table cost. This did not include the head, but included scraping, part, painting, etc.. This did include tear down, cleaning and assembly of main parts withe new biJur metering units.. I asked Rick and I think he told me $8500.00 to 12,500.00 for a complete rebuild a non chromed machine. Best to ask him to be sure. 715-749-3065

Hi Rich, do you think installing ball screws on a " Bridgeport " is a smart move ? Just asking.

Regards Tyrone.

To be honest I have been out of rebuiding Bridgeport's for so long I can't give a honest answer, just a guess. I can check with my rebuiding friends on Monday and see what they have to say. Here is a guess. Ball screws have seals to keep the crud out of the nut so I would bet they last longer. If it is a quality ball screw I would bet it is better because of less back-lash. The lube system is more self contained and also would help to keep it from wearing out faster. Less back-lash, tighter tolerance along with DRO's. Rich

Looks good considering how damn time consuming just cleaning and painting is!

However if you need (want) the column done, and maybe need a few small extras like spindle bearings, it is in the $7 -$8K range plus shipping both ways.
On their own site, they will sell a new Sharp for either $8500 (VS54/54" table machine) or $8900 (LMV 50/50" table) Not sure why the smaller machine is cheaper? "Presume" 42" table machines (basic LMV model) which arguably make better sense in that platform might be available as well, maybe for even less. But either way, might make a person think hard about rebuild, or just trade up. The base BP (ready for rebuild, but still workable) is going to be worth somewhere from $800 - $2,500 sold on a local market depending where local is.

smt

The newer BP's castings are much lighter from what I have heard, not nearly as rigid without the mass of an older machine. A victim of the cost cutting by the pound mentality of the modern consume it and throw it away business model of recent years.

There used to be a member of this forum who worked at the foundry where the BP castings were made. It has been a few years but I do remember him mentioning when they quit production. By that time the BP were being made overseas, I dont know if they were Mehinite or not but that could make the difference in weight. If you are really interested you might ask on the BP subforum, someone there would probably know.

Charles

Hi Rich, do you think installing ball screws on a " Bridgeport " is a smart move ? Just asking.

Regards Tyrone.

Tyrone, I know you asked Richard but I will add my unsolicited opinion. :) Unless you are going to make the machine a CNC machine stick to the regular screws. Ballscrews feel nice in the hand but there is more of a chance of the tool feeding the material right out of your hands. I have used machines manually with ballscrews and didnt like the feel of them under the cut.

Charles

Regards Tyrone.

It would depend on the screw wnd the machine. a place I used to work put a retrofit kit in a 20 year old bridgeport. Noone liked it. You could feel the balls " cogging" like the preload was off, it always jumped 2 thousandths when you needed 4 tenths..... Great for face milling nd such, but it did pull into cut much easier. We went back to acme's.... but on a fresh rescrape it may be a lot better.

There used to be a member of this forum who worked at the foundry where the BP castings were made. It has been a few years but I do remember him mentioning when they quit production. By that time the BP were being made overseas, I don't know if they were Meehanite or not but that could make the difference in weight. If you are really interested you might ask on the BP subforum, someone there would probably know.

Charles

Meehanite refers to properties of cast iron derived from a specific process rather than weight.

Never had problems with ballscrews on a Bridgeport. I did change the Biljur oil metering port for both X and Y so a higher volume of oil is delivered to each. Aids in flushing debris. Expect to do a little more housekeeping maintenance to retain accuracy as this is an open system on the Bridgeport.
John

Back