Bridgeport way scraping cost
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bridgeport way scraping cost

Any idea what it would cost to have ways scraped on a bridgeport mill I'm in Minnesota

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I asked Rick at A&D Machine Rebuilding in Roberts WI last month and he told me a grind and scrape was around $4500.00 plus parts, head, lube system repair, paint, etc. He can also install a new auto lube, DRO, coolant, ball screws, power-feed etc. All extra.

I think shop rate around MN is $85.00 to $125.00 per hour.

I used to figure 50 to 60 hours plus grinding the table cost. This did not include the head, but included scraping, part, painting, etc.. This did include tear down, cleaning and assembly of main parts withe new biJur metering units.. I asked Rick and I think he told me $8500.00 to 12,500.00 for a complete rebuild a non chromed machine. Best to ask him to be sure. 715-749-3065

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sam please edit your profile to include your location, look in the upper rt corner of your post and compare it to Richards. You will see were your location is missing. This is a forum requirement, if you do not fix this you will loose your posting privileges.

Richard that seems cheap for all that , painting included? Not a bad deal, of course it has to meet the customers expectations.

Charles

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The treatment plant where I work hade ours ground all over, scraped and turcite installed, it cost $6k. After it was reassembled we checked it against a master square with a .0001" indicator and I couldn't see the needle move over 12" anywhere I placed it on the table.
    It was done in Gresham Oregon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by manualmachinist View Post
    The treatment plant where I work hade ours ground all over, scraped and turcite installed, it cost $6k. After it was reassembled we checked it against a master square with a .0001" indicator and I couldn't see the needle move over 12" anywhere I placed it on the table.
    It was done in Gresham Oregon.
    Wow! That's remarkable! That is better than new!

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rick also told me he was thinking of charging more. I think he said a new was around $30,000.00 and was thinking 1/2 the price of new was reasonable.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Rick also told me he was thinking of charging more. I think he said a new was around $30,000.00 and was thinking 1/2 the price of new was reasonable.
    I had to get several quotes for replacement machines to justify the repair cost to management before the repair. I was careful to get quotes for machines equipt as well as the BP and they ranged from $18K to as high as $38K for a Wells Index.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought a new bridgeport was around $16 000..

I doubt it would be worth rebuilding.... Easier to buy a new clone... wheel it in... start working...

9. Likes Mcgyver, Davis In SC, bmikkalson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    I thought a new bridgeport was around $16 000..

I doubt it would be worth rebuilding.... Easier to buy a new clone... wheel it in... start working...
    Well I am not sure what the price is for a new one, however the difference is usually the same here as everywhere else. The catalog has the price but the invoice has the cost.

Charles

11. Likes BobRenz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll check on Monday.. and post it here. Over here "Bridgeport" is like the Holy-Grail knee mills and as you know was the first mass produced machine everyone copied. and people buy the name. Since Hardinge bought the company I believe the quality has got a lot better then when Textron owned them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

H&W's pricing (Fort Wayne IN)

Complete Bridgeport Series I Rebuild

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The newer BP's castings are much lighter from what I have heard, not nearly as rigid without the mass of an older machine. A victim of the cost cutting by the pound mentality of the modern consume it and throw it away business model of recent years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    I asked Rick at A&D Machine Rebuilding in Roberts WI last month and he told me a grind and scrape was around $4500.00 plus parts, head, lube system repair, paint, etc. He can also install a new auto lube, DRO, coolant, ball screws, power-feed etc. All extra.

I think shop rate around MN is $85.00 to $125.00 per hour.

I used to figure 50 to 60 hours plus grinding the table cost. This did not include the head, but included scraping, part, painting, etc.. This did include tear down, cleaning and assembly of main parts withe new biJur metering units.. I asked Rick and I think he told me $8500.00 to 12,500.00 for a complete rebuild a non chromed machine. Best to ask him to be sure. 715-749-3065

Hi Rich, do you think installing ball screws on a " Bridgeport " is a smart move ? Just asking.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To be honest I have been out of rebuiding Bridgeport's for so long I can't give a honest answer, just a guess. I can check with my rebuiding friends on Monday and see what they have to say. Here is a guess. Ball screws have seals to keep the crud out of the nut so I would bet they last longer. If it is a quality ball screw I would bet it is better because of less back-lash. The lube system is more self contained and also would help to keep it from wearing out faster. Less back-lash, tighter tolerance along with DRO's. Rich

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Mike View Post
    H&W's pricing (Fort Wayne IN)

Complete Bridgeport Series I Rebuild
    Looks good considering how damn time consuming just cleaning and painting is!

However if you need (want) the column done, and maybe need a few small extras like spindle bearings, it is in the $7 -$8K range plus shipping both ways.
    On their own site, they will sell a new Sharp for either $8500 (VS54/54" table machine) or $8900 (LMV 50/50" table) Not sure why the smaller machine is cheaper? "Presume" 42" table machines (basic LMV model) which arguably make better sense in that platform might be available as well, maybe for even less. But either way, might make a person think hard about rebuild, or just trade up. The base BP (ready for rebuild, but still workable) is going to be worth somewhere from $800 - $2,500 sold on a local market depending where local is.

smt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by manualmachinist View Post
    The newer BP's castings are much lighter from what I have heard, not nearly as rigid without the mass of an older machine. A victim of the cost cutting by the pound mentality of the modern consume it and throw it away business model of recent years.
    There used to be a member of this forum who worked at the foundry where the BP castings were made. It has been a few years but I do remember him mentioning when they quit production. By that time the BP were being made overseas, I dont know if they were Mehinite or not but that could make the difference in weight. If you are really interested you might ask on the BP subforum, someone there would probably know.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Hi Rich, do you think installing ball screws on a " Bridgeport " is a smart move ? Just asking.

Regards Tyrone.
    Tyrone, I know you asked Richard but I will add my unsolicited opinion. Unless you are going to make the machine a CNC machine stick to the regular screws. Ballscrews feel nice in the hand but there is more of a chance of the tool feeding the material right out of your hands. I have used machines manually with ballscrews and didnt like the feel of them under the cut.

Charles

20. Likes Davis In SC, ironsmith89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post

Regards Tyrone.
    It would depend on the screw wnd the machine. a place I used to work put a retrofit kit in a 20 year old bridgeport. Noone liked it. You could feel the balls " cogging" like the preload was off, it always jumped 2 thousandths when you needed 4 tenths..... Great for face milling nd such, but it did pull into cut much easier. We went back to acme's.... but on a fresh rescrape it may be a lot better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlair View Post
    There used to be a member of this forum who worked at the foundry where the BP castings were made. It has been a few years but I do remember him mentioning when they quit production. By that time the BP were being made overseas, I don't know if they were Meehanite or not but that could make the difference in weight. If you are really interested you might ask on the BP subforum, someone there would probably know.

Charles
    Meehanite refers to properties of cast iron derived from a specific process rather than weight.

Never had problems with ballscrews on a Bridgeport. I did change the Biljur oil metering port for both X and Y so a higher volume of oil is delivered to each. Aids in flushing debris. Expect to do a little more housekeeping maintenance to retain accuracy as this is an open system on the Bridgeport.
    John