What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharp 2L Surface Grinder repair.

1 Dandy Dave

Plastic
I have had this Brown and Sharp 2L Surface Grinder for a while and finally got around to hooking it up. Everything ran great but I found that the atomatic cross feed did not work and I pulled it apart to see why. I found the ratchet wheel gear was broken with about half of the teeth missing. I finally received a piece of 4140 in the mail yesterday to make a new gear for it. The original was cast iron. Progress for today. Bored out the ratchet to release the broken gear. Drilled and then bored out the new piece of round stock to 1.000 inch. Turning the OD. I'll post more progress tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 147
I would check with PM member in Milwaukee with the German name. I forgot his screen name. He's a friend of Cash Masters. He is an experts in Gears. I have issues advising on how to patch thing up.

I sent a message to Bourn & Koch/ Brown and Sharp, and never got a responds. I guess they did not have a part for this old machine. I have an Indexing head, Gear cutters, and a Bridgeport Mill. I've made gears in the past and don't mind doing it. Besides, I want a press fit into the old housing that I had to separate the gear from. And it is not a standard size. The original was part of the cast iron housing. Here's my Van Norman indexing head set up on the Bridgeport mill. The gear teeth are cut. I thought posting this here may help someone else with the same problem and a solution to fix the problem. I used my faithful old craftsman power hacksaw to saw off a piece of stock. Center drilled both sides and turned it between centers with a faceplate and dog in my 13 inch South Bend lathe.

Attachments

• IMG_2510.jpg
    IMG_2510.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 79
A photo of the 13 inch South Bend Lathe. Another angle of the milled gear in the indexing head. The gear has 24 teeth. Number 16 DP. I have to have a shoulder on it. Total finished length is 1.875. I cut off a piece 3 and 1/4 and turned one end to just under 1 and 1/8th diameter by 1 inch so that I had a solid place to chuck it up in my dividing head. This is as far as the jaws open in this particular Van Norman dividing head with the wide ends mounted toward the center.

Attachments

• IMG_2508.jpg
    IMG_2508.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
A little further today. The gear was finished with success. I pressed it into the housing with a .002 to .003 interference fit, I then drilled the hub and tapped it for #10-24 set screws. Also drilled a hole for oil and cut a slot for the oil to flow through as it was originally. Will post more tomorrow. Need to assemble the unit and will return with more photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_2522.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2524.jpg
    IMG_2524.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2526.jpg
    IMG_2526.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 65
Success. I assembled the new gear and repaired small ratchet wheel and the cross feed works like a charm. The Small ratchet wheel had two teeth missing. I found that it was nor hardened steel so I was able to build them up with weld and re-cut the teeth in the Bridgeport Mill. I did not have my camera that day but I have a photo of the finished part. Photos show the clutch, ratchets, pinion rack, and related parts. And also where they fit in the machine.

Attachments

• IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2539.jpg
    IMG_2539.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 64
More photos of parts, The hand wheel is for the cross feed and has the large ratchet wheel with it. Also, the parts assembled on the machine. I have a short Video. I will post it to you tube and then return with the link of it running and working here. Hope this will help some of you out, or maybe motivates you to fix your broken automatic cross feed on your Brown and Sharp 2L.

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 54
You tube link to watch it perform. YouTube Thanks for looking all. Now. Votes on whether I should clean the many coats of paint off of it and repaint it? Or just keep it well oiled and use it? :willy_nilly:

Nice job.. paint is not a big thing...but if mine i might fudge-up a shield to place at the back of the table perhaps allowing a well used wheel to still be used. This to restrict grits going that way.
if you decide tom,paint consider that filler was used on those old machines so stripping may make many of those cavities to show up..and some of the old paints are lead paint.

If you want to clean up the number dials a fine file to remove all nicks and only fine abrasive paper to brighten.

Last edited:
Nice job.. paint is not a big thing...but if mine i might fudge-up a shield to place at the back of the table perhaps allowing a well used wheel to still be used. This to restrict grits going that way.
if you decide tom,paint consider that filler was used on those old machines so stripping may make many of those cavities to show up..and some of the old paints are lead paint.

If you want to clean up the number dials a fine file to remove and nicks and only fine abrasive paper to brighten.

Actually, I now have the machine shop equipment set up in the mechanical side of the Body Shop that is here. The biggest pain would be getting that heavy old pig in the paint booth. I set it where it is with my back hoe. The main Business is, Wards Auto Collision Center, Hudson NY. My better other half is half owner but retired. Her brother in-law runs the place. There are two shields on the machine. One directly behind the wheel. It is adjustable. And another large one on the table.

Attachments

• IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 50
Follow up video on the guards and the automatic cross feed. YouTube
Photo of the guards around the machine and another of the guard mounted behind the wheel. The next photos shows the adjustments that set the amount that you want the cross feed to move on each pass. The clutch knob is in the center. Turn it to engage or disengage.

Attachments

• IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 51
Nice repair. How did the cross feed gear and ratchet get into that state? Was it simply lack of proper lubrication and dirt? Or something more?

Hey Dandy. Nice job. My old 2L came with an almost totally worn out cross feed screw and nut. Fabricated replacements from McMaster-Carr bits. If your's is likewise bad maybe I can help. I have a length of threaded rod left over you are welcome to. I also have the manual if you need any scans sent. Taking off the table is tricky with out the book.......Bob

To break a gear..I wonder if some object if set between the table and the column could cause such an event

I wondered/thought the same thing but there is a clutch in the ratchet drive. The clutch is adjustable so I Suppose it could have been set uber tight and someone left something behind the chuck...........Bob

Back