Brown and Sharp 2L Surface Grinder repair.
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Brown and Sharp 2L Surface Grinder repair.

I have had this Brown and Sharp 2L Surface Grinder for a while and finally got around to hooking it up. Everything ran great but I found that the atomatic cross feed did not work and I pulled it apart to see why. I found the ratchet wheel gear was broken with about half of the teeth missing. I finally received a piece of 4140 in the mail yesterday to make a new gear for it. The original was cast iron. Progress for today. Bored out the ratchet to release the broken gear. Drilled and then bored out the new piece of round stock to 1.000 inch. Turning the OD. I'll post more progress tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2454.jpg   img_2456.jpg   img_2457.jpg   img_2461.jpg   img_2464.jpg  

2. Likes michiganbuck, zamboni2354 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Easy enough to make a simple gear like that..but have you considered buying a gear and boring it to your needs.
    Oh I see you have the stock..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would check with PM member in Milwaukee with the German name. I forgot his screen name. He's a friend of Cash Masters. He is an experts in Gears. I have issues advising on how to patch thing up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    I would check with PM member in Milwaukee with the German name.

Look for Gear Head (auf Deutsch)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sent a message to Bourn & Koch/ Brown and Sharp, and never got a responds. I guess they did not have a part for this old machine. I have an Indexing head, Gear cutters, and a Bridgeport Mill. I've made gears in the past and don't mind doing it. Besides, I want a press fit into the old housing that I had to separate the gear from. And it is not a standard size. The original was part of the cast iron housing. Here's my Van Norman indexing head set up on the Bridgeport mill. The gear teeth are cut. I thought posting this here may help someone else with the same problem and a solution to fix the problem. I used my faithful old craftsman power hacksaw to saw off a piece of stock. Center drilled both sides and turned it between centers with a faceplate and dog in my 13 inch South Bend lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2510.jpg   img_2511.jpg   img_2507.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A photo of the 13 inch South Bend Lathe. Another angle of the milled gear in the indexing head. The gear has 24 teeth. Number 16 DP. I have to have a shoulder on it. Total finished length is 1.875. I cut off a piece 3 and 1/4 and turned one end to just under 1 and 1/8th diameter by 1 inch so that I had a solid place to chuck it up in my dividing head. This is as far as the jaws open in this particular Van Norman dividing head with the wide ends mounted toward the center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2508.jpg   img_2509.jpg  
    Last edited by 1 Dandy Dave; 04-13-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A little further today. The gear was finished with success. I pressed it into the housing with a .002 to .003 interference fit, I then drilled the hub and tapped it for #10-24 set screws. Also drilled a hole for oil and cut a slot for the oil to flow through as it was originally. Will post more tomorrow. Need to assemble the unit and will return with more photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2520.jpg   img_2522.jpg   img_2524.jpg   img_2526.jpg   img_2528.jpg  

9. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Success. I assembled the new gear and repaired small ratchet wheel and the cross feed works like a charm. The Small ratchet wheel had two teeth missing. I found that it was nor hardened steel so I was able to build them up with weld and re-cut the teeth in the Bridgeport Mill. I did not have my camera that day but I have a photo of the finished part. Photos show the clutch, ratchets, pinion rack, and related parts. And also where they fit in the machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2533.jpg   img_2534.jpg   img_2539.jpg   img_2537.jpg   img_2542.jpg  

11. Likes michiganbuck, Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More photos of parts, The hand wheel is for the cross feed and has the large ratchet wheel with it. Also, the parts assembled on the machine. I have a short Video. I will post it to you tube and then return with the link of it running and working here. Hope this will help some of you out, or maybe motivates you to fix your broken automatic cross feed on your Brown and Sharp 2L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2546.jpg   img_2549.jpg  

13. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You tube link to watch it perform. YouTube Thanks for looking all. Now. Votes on whether I should clean the many coats of paint off of it and repaint it? Or just keep it well oiled and use it?

15. Likes Paolo_MD, michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice job.. paint is not a big thing...but if mine i might fudge-up a shield to place at the back of the table perhaps allowing a well used wheel to still be used. This to restrict grits going that way.
    if you decide tom,paint consider that filler was used on those old machines so stripping may make many of those cavities to show up..and some of the old paints are lead paint.

If you want to clean up the number dials a fine file to remove all nicks and only fine abrasive paper to brighten.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 04-15-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

can the feed be reversed? o.k., i see now it can. how does that work?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post
    can the feed be reversed? o.k., i see now it can. how does that work?
    Excellent. Works in both directions as it should. I can take a better video if you like.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Nice job.. paint is not a big thing...but if mine i might fudge-up a shield to place at the back of the table perhaps allowing a well used wheel to still be used. This to restrict grits going that way.
    if you decide tom,paint consider that filler was used on those old machines so stripping may make many of those cavities to show up..and some of the old paints are lead paint.

If you want to clean up the number dials a fine file to remove and nicks and only fine abrasive paper to brighten.
    Actually, I now have the machine shop equipment set up in the mechanical side of the Body Shop that is here. The biggest pain would be getting that heavy old pig in the paint booth. I set it where it is with my back hoe. The main Business is, Wards Auto Collision Center, Hudson NY. My better other half is half owner but retired. Her brother in-law runs the place. There are two shields on the machine. One directly behind the wheel. It is adjustable. And another large one on the table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2454.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Follow up video on the guards and the automatic cross feed. YouTube
    Photo of the guards around the machine and another of the guard mounted behind the wheel. The next photos shows the adjustments that set the amount that you want the cross feed to move on each pass. The clutch knob is in the center. Turn it to engage or disengage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2552.jpg   img_2551.jpg   img_2554.jpg   img_2555.jpg  

21. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice repair. How did the cross feed gear and ratchet get into that state? Was it simply lack of proper lubrication and dirt? Or something more?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Dandy. Nice job. My old 2L came with an almost totally worn out cross feed screw and nut. Fabricated replacements from McMaster-Carr bits. If your's is likewise bad maybe I can help. I have a length of threaded rod left over you are welcome to. I also have the manual if you need any scans sent. Taking off the table is tricky with out the book.......Bob

24. Likes 1 Dandy Dave liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    Nice repair. How did the cross feed gear and ratchet get into that state? Was it simply lack of proper lubrication and dirt? Or something more?
    I don't know. I bought it that way, I assume miss use and abuse.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To break a gear..I wonder if some object if set between the table and the column could cause such an event

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    To break a gear..I wonder if some object if set between the table and the column could cause such an event
    I wondered/thought the same thing but there is a clutch in the ratchet drive. The clutch is adjustable so I Suppose it could have been set uber tight and someone left something behind the chuck...........Bob