Camelback maker? Plus a couple biax's
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Camelback maker? Plus a couple biax's

Hey guys, a buddy picked up this 3 foot camel back for me the other day. No name on it. Got any ideas.

He also snagged these two Biax scrapers...of the vintage variety...pretty cool though. I still need to figure out their ages the one is missing the tag, the other one with the plastic says IV/EB.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would not surprise me if that RRG-3 straightedge were a custom job for a guy or a company whose initials are RRG. That thing has a very narrow bevel, so I think it was not a stock casting. Always ready to be educated otherwise, of course.

3. Likes zamboni2354 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    It would not surprise me if that RRG-3 straightedge were a custom job for a guy or a company whose initials are RRG. That thing has a very narrow bevel, so I think it was not a stock casting. Always ready to be educated otherwise, of course.
    Based on some of the casting flaws I was thinking a one off too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got a scraper that's a dead ringer for the lower one in the picture. I did have to replace the motor bearings (angular contact) after one of them shelled out, but fortunately no secondary damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    I've got a scraper that's a dead ringer for the lower one in the picture. I did have to replace the motor bearings (angular contact) after one of them shelled out, but fortunately no secondary damage.
    Do you know your model number? It's definitely a smooth runner compared to the other one
    Thx
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the lower one is similar to a IV EB (roman 4 ?), made in steckborn in the 90ies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just wrote my longtime friend Ed Dyjak who at one time, he and his Dad Ed Sr. sold more Biax Scrapers in the USA then anyone. He also repaired them until a few months ago when he ran out of used spare parts he had accumulated over the years. I am sure he still repairs the green Matabo and black GE motor models. Biax now has started to use black Matabo motors now. I cut and pasted the photo and linked this thread..

Years ago the Biax California distributor told me of a company in LA that made straight-edges. Had to have been 30+ years ago. I think it was called " Shamrock or Clover" They have long since closed. I see your in the LA area, maybe it's one of theirs? I have seem that crude design before once before, but can't recall when or where.

Here is what I asked him: "Ed I figure your the only person alive who can date the scrapers. My guess it the bottom one is a early 1960 something and the top one is middle 70's? Have a model number for the bottom one?

I hope your well, I am OK, just bored out of my mind. This question came up on Practical Machinist"

9. Likes pressbrake1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ed ran out of parts to repair the blue biax scrapers? Dang. Iím glad I got mine in a while ago for him to refresh

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ed repaired my green Biax a year ago. Running well yesterday. He said he has no more armatures for the green ones.

L7

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I heard back from Ed Dyjak and here is what he said:

Hi Rich,

The one on the top looks like a IV E BC. They were from the mid í70ís. Iíve attached a manual for the IV E BC.

The one on the bottom is either a IV EAS if the front casting is made of cast iron or itís a IV EASL if itís made of aluminum alloy. They were from the early í60ís. I could scan a manual if he really wants one but thereís not much to it though, itís little more than a parts list and exploded view.
    The naming is similar to the 7ELM being the lighter scraper and the 7ESM being the heavier version.

Ed
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni2354 View Post
    Do you know your model number? It's definitely a smooth runner compared to the other one
    Thx
    Jeff

Mine says 4/EASL No.37/198/65 - 85431. Head is Ali so that corresponds to what Rich got from Ed. The "65" in the number might be a date code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Years ago the Biax California distributor told me of a company in LA that made straight-edges. Had to have been 30+ years ago. I think it was called " Shamrock or Clover" They have long since closed. I see your in the LA area, maybe it's one of theirs? I have seem that crude design before once before, but can't recall when or where....."
    Richard,

thanks a lot for your response. I'll research both those names and see what I can find. I previously posted about a Monarch tools camel back that was also locally made by Roberts machine Co in Lynnwood, CA. It's definitely a cleaner casting, but I was happy to pick this one up as well.

thanks again.
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    I heard back from Ed Dyjak and here is what he said:

Hi Rich,

The one on the top looks like a IV E BC. They were from the mid ’70’s. I’ve attached a manual for the IV E BC.

The one on the bottom is either a IV EAS if the front casting is made of cast iron or it’s a IV EASL if it’s made of aluminum alloy. They were from the early ’60’s. I could scan a manual if he really wants one but there’s not much to it though, it’s little more than a parts list and exploded view.
    The naming is similar to the 7ELM being the lighter scraper and the 7ESM being the heavier version.

Ed
    [email protected]
    thanks Rich! The upper one says IV/EB. Do you know if that is different than IV/EBC?
    0503201727.jpg

I checked the bottom one. the head is Aluminum so now I know it's IV EASL. thanks to you and Ed for that info!!

looks like Aerojet owned it once lol
    0513201956a_hdr.jpg

The only other tag on it are the patent numbers. not sure why someone would take the model tag off. oh well at least now i have a lot more info about it than I did before. thanks again.

0513201956_hdr.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    Mine says 4/EASL No.37/198/65 - 85431. Head is Ali so that corresponds to what Rich got from Ed. The "65" in the number might be a date code.
    Thanks, Mine is Ali too so it def seems we have the same model. Did you have the bearing numbers handy? There was a spare set of brushes in the box that I assume go to it, but I haven't confirmed it. It's definitely smoother running and more comfortable to hold than the other one.

jeff in long beach.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got a similar old blue Biax. It has the chrome knurled nut to attach the motor, but a different motor, and it has a blue steel case, so I think it was a slightly newer generation, but I think the heads are the same. Ed Dyjack was a big help when I went through mine. Not all the parts are available, but a fair amount were. He advised to take care of the motor assembly, and especially take care of the motor fan blade, as both weren't available. Original motor brushes were not available, so Ed started to stock generic ones (same type and size, just not Biax OEM).

It seems that the sliding head on these old blue Biax's tend to be worn out, but the wear plates are not available, so some guys will surface grind them flat with a sine chuck or similar angle holding method, then use shim stock to put them at the right height. I'll have to do this on mine before too much longer as it's very wobbly. It works, you just have less room for error for the corners of your blade to scratch.

Not my video, but a good explanation of the slide repair.
    YouTube

Mine still had the data plate, but was missing the patent plate and the adjustment scale plate. They do get busted off on accident and I've seen on other machinery where the little pins work loose and fall out. I don't think any of the plates are available, but perhaps if someone with a mint blue Biax wants to take some good pics, we could have some new plates reproduced (we might even sweet-talk Ed into stocking the reproductions).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that's Texan "Sweet Talk" LOL One of my students told me MSC or it may have been McMaster Carr generic brushes that size.
    Pic's are of the sweet talker himself at the 2019 Steve Watkins scraping class :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190223_163017.jpg   20190223_091836.jpg   20190223_091829.jpg  

19. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    Ed repaired my green Biax a year ago. Running well yesterday. He said he has no more armatures for the green ones.

L7
    Motor internals for the green ones are easy to find. Several models of metabo jig saw use the same parts.

21. Likes pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni2354 View Post
    Thanks, Mine is Ali too so it def seems we have the same model. Did you have the bearing numbers handy? There was a spare set of brushes in the box that I assume go to it, but I haven't confirmed it. It's definitely smoother running and more comfortable to hold than the other one.

jeff in long beach.
    It takes an EN6 at the tail and an EN8 at the front. These are separably magneto bearings and the back one is in a blind hole so you'll have to make an expanding puller to grab the outer race. I kind of remember having to make a second tool for something else, but you can sort it out I'm sure. The bearings I got are NSK and I now have some spares. At the time I didn't think to ask if Ed had them, but I'd expect him to since they're not a special for this tool.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    Ed repaired my green Biax a year ago. He said he has no more armatures for the green ones.
    I believe you can get armatures or complete motors for the green ones by using parts from a Metabo ST EP 564 jigsaw. See links below. These turn up for about 50 Euros on German Ebay. These are 230VAC, but I am sure that Metabo makes an equivalent 120VAC model.

Bringing a Biax BL10 back to life.

BIAX IV / EA Specifications and recommendations

Brushes for Biax - source?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    I believe you can get armatures or complete motors for the green ones by using parts from a Metabo ST EP 564 jigsaw. See links below. These turn up for about 50 Euros on German Ebay. These are 230VAC, but I am sure that Metabo makes an equivalent 120VAC model.
    They sure do, building site use is 110v tools only in the UK. Other than that I have a genuine 115v motor I would swap for a 240v one. I actually have the 240v jig-saw to do the swap the only thing that's stopped me doing it so far is that I don't know if the 115v speed controller circuit will handle the 240v supply. You can't swap them out because the jig-saw one has the switch and speed control up in the handle.