Camelback straightedge casting source?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Camelback straightedge casting source?

Hi all, I have seen where this question has come up several years ago but none really new enough to be up to date. Does anyone know of a good source for a reasonably priced camelback straightedge casting? I will be in the market for one in the near future. I feel 24" would suit me well.
    Thanks,
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the mans name is Richard King, he's on here

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PM sent ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gcude View Post
    PM sent ...
    GCUDE - Thanks for responding but your inbox is full so I can't get back with you. Thanks, Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by heapes View Post
    GCUDE - Thanks for responding but your inbox is full so I can't get back with you. Thanks, Stephen
    Sent you another PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GC has patterns and castings and so do I. The foundry who is making mine is slower then I had hoped. They originally said 8/1 and now 9/1 and haven't heard anything. But I have been on the road anyway. I'll be back in town tomorrow and will drive down there and see if they have any 18", 24" and hopefully 36" camel back angles and non angles finished. I ordered several of each. I will email those who asked about them plus add something to my original PM thread. Buy from GC or I, plus Greg Demor out in Portland has some. ....what ever works for you best. I plan of storing them outside in the weather to age them too. They will be stress relieve one time when i get them, I look at it as a long term investment and if i have a few left over I will have them handy in the spring if some don't sell this fall. Rich

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if there is a specific size yoy are looking for how about keeping an eye on ebay?

I was on a used dealer site the other day, cant remember who, and they had a bunch for sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been looking for a 24" to 30"... But many folks seem to think that the one they just dug out of the pigpen is a "precision tool", for which they ask 50% of new price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My plan is to sell casting..to me they are not going to make me rich....to the contary...just that many of my students asked about the ones i use....more later..my ride here. Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys. I have been in contact with Gary and I think he is going to help me out with an 18" that should do all I need. I have to ask for advise on stress relieving the casting though. Are there any suggestions on how to do this without a furnace? I do have a dedicated houshold oven for powder coating. I just don't have any experience in this area.
    Thanks,
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by heapes View Post
    Thanks guys. I have been in contact with Gary and I think he is going to help me out with an 18" that should do all I need. I have to ask for advise on stress relieving the casting though. Are there any suggestions on how to do this without a furnace? I do have a dedicated houshold oven for powder coating. I just don't have any experience in this area.
    Thanks,
    Stephen
    Dear Stephen,

I received the PM and instead answering you there...lets let everyone see it.

I have had some bad luck with amateur stress relievers. I would think you would be better to sent it to a pro, but if you can't find one and the ceramic maker with an oven, that may work and if it does I would like to hear more and if it worked. It ight help everyone in the future. I also have had people tell me they built a fire brick oven and used charcoal and propane torches to heat it with-out alot of luck. I think it would work for annealing or heat treating, but your looking for

"High Temp Stress Relief"

My foundries Casting Metallurgical Engineer advised me many years ago to heat the casting up to 1100 degree's and cook it for 2 hours, then lower the oven to 900 deg for 2 hours, then 700 for 2 hours, then 500 for 2 hours, then 300 for 2 hours and then off until cool to handle. It's called cooking. Just heating it up too 1100 and shutting it off until it can be handled doesn't do anything accept waste the gas. Over in Taiwan they screwed up a few castings by heating it up hotter and little hard spots appeared in the Iron so when they were machining and scraping them the carbide blade would skate over the hard spots. I also would suggest you ask Gary if they have been heat treated after they were cast. My foundry does it automatically after the casting. If it has, machine it and then do it again and after the rough machining do it again and then finish machine it and then scrape it. During the scraping process hang it from ceiling on a rope and hit it with a rubber hammer or 2 x 4 and "wring" it like a bell, this works good to stress relieve it too. Also for those who drop a straight-edge or rescrape it "wring" it as it is part of the scraping procedure. Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Richard. I very well may be over my head on this and limited by my access to appropriate equipment. However, not being one to be afraid to screw something up I will see what I can come up with. Perhaps I can find a furnace locally. Thank you for your help. Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have some old Brown & Sharpe camel back straight edges. The longest is 4' the other two are shorter. (I think they were a set) They date from long ago and so should be rather stress-free. As they are so old they would have to be checked and perhaps re-scraped. Think of them as well seasoned castings. If these are of interest to anyone send me an email and I will check them out and photograph them. I'd hate to ship them but I live in southern New Hampshire if that would work for you.

hms50

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am picking up several sizes tomorrow and will put on some pictures, weights hopefully tomorrow night. Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

where to get a casting in europe?