IRELAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i have had one of those, it was amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am waiting for the weather to warm up for the drilling head movement battle but the are many little thing to look at, to get the machine back into service,
    The oil system is a Brown&Sharpe gear type pump, and this Cuno oil filter.
    These filters are common on WW2 era machines, they are self cleaning, pushing the oil from the outside to the center.
    The filter is made from hundreds of thin disk, and scrapers in a stack, the oil goes through the spaces, the sludge is caught on the outside.
    When the handle is turned, the sludge is scraped off, and falls into the compartment the filter is in.
    These are not as efficient as modern spin on filters, but I think is good enough to leave in place for this application.

This drill had very little use the filter, and the compartment were clean, and no sludge.

I have an Axelson lathe with the same filter, it is 3 times longer. I was told by an old timer not to change it over to a modern element filter, because the machine needs good flow for the spindle brake to function well, as the valve is designed to have internal leakage for continuous flow to other components when the brake is on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too late to ad to the last post,
    I was able to move the drill head over enough with screw jacks to knock the broken bearing race around to the top, taking the pressure off.
    It is down hill from here, the last serious problem.

4. Likes CBlair, neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    I am waiting for the weather to warm up for the drilling head movement battle but the are many little thing to look at, to get the machine back into service,
    The oil system is a Brown&Sharpe gear type pump, and this Cuno oil filter.
    These filters are common on WW2 era machines, they are self cleaning, pushing the oil from the outside to the center.
    The filter is made from hundreds of thin disk, and scrapers in a stack, the oil goes through the spaces, the sludge is caught on the outside.
    When the handle is turned, the sludge is scraped off, and falls into the compartment the filter is in.
    These are not as efficient as modern spin on filters, but I think is good enough to leave in place for this application.

This drill had very little use the filter, and the compartment were clean, and no sludge.

I have an Axelson lathe with the same filter, it is 3 times longer. I was told by an old timer not to change it over to a modern element filter, because the machine needs good flow for the spindle brake to function well, as the valve is designed to have internal leakage for continuous flow to other components when the brake is on.
    Whatever you do don’t ever try to take one of those filters apart. It’s not a good idea, I’m speaking from experience here.

Regards Tyrone.

6. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Whatever you do don’t ever try to take one of those filters apart. It’s not a good idea, I’m speaking from experience here.

Regards Tyrone.
    I have the same experience.

8. Likes Tyrone Shoelaces liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did take apart the Cuno filter in the Axelson lathe, it is three times longer then the one in the photo,,,, it took 5 hours to get it back together, but it is very clean!
    The one in the drill has rivets instead of screws,
    Sounds like I fell into the trap like Limy, it had screws, so.....

I am still working on the head movement on the arm of the drill, I was able to heat the area hot enough to melt bees wax into the ways surfaces.
    The head moves easier using screw jacks, but I am running out of useable distance for the jacks, and need to unstick the head where it sits now.
    The best plan I have for now is keep using heat, and applying wax. When the parts cool down, the wax is squeezed out, and in deeper.
    I have a ridiculous amount of time in this drill now, I will just keep plugging along like its normal.