What's new
What's new

Chuck Reconditioning

Ja_cain

Cast Iron
Going through this old chuck as wondering what the best way to clean up the taper? I have removed a fair amount of th rust just from hitting it with red and gray scotch Brite, but want to make sure I'm removing any high spots. Appreciate any help/advice.

JustinPXL_20210824_131200785.jpgPXL_20210824_131213206.jpgPXL_20210824_131226559.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

It's a little harder on that curved surface but on a table or fixture, stoning lightly with an India stone will show up any dings as bright spots, often crescents, that tell you if the surface needs more attention.

I had a supervisor give an apprentice one of those sponge backed sanding blocks to go over the milling table with. Worthless proposition.

500 or 1000 grit emory

If you can spin the chuck 320, 500, and 1000 grit emory set on the surface with a backer so it does not dip into the jaw cavities..move slowly in one direction only makes a pattern that looks like the original manufacturing process. The backer might be the likes of an old charge card. Yes, it is a little tricky doing that so be very careful...may need to double back tape the emory on. 100 Rpm is Ok.

If you can spin the chuck 320, 500, and 1000 grit emory set on the surface with a backer so it does not dip into the jaw cavities..move slowly in one direction only makes a pattern that looks like the original manufacturing process. The backer might be the likes of an old charge card. Yes, it is a little tricky doing that so be very careful...may need to double back tape the emory on. 100 Rpm is Ok.
Can chuck it in my 4 jaw. My only hangup is that keyway. Lol!! Not sure I want to try that on a 15hp lathe. I might be able to chuck I in the smaller lathe though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back