Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Circlip/Snap Ring? What is it?

Not sure what this is. Looks like a typical snap ring but it doesn’t have the little ends with holes to use snap ring pliers. Anyone know if there’s a specific tool to take these off and put them on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisR100 View Post

Not sure what this is. Looks like a typical snap ring but it doesn’t have the little ends with holes to use snap ring pliers. Anyone know if there’s a specific tool to take these off and put them on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Flat blade screw driver. Just push it off, easy peasy. I call it a circlip, whatever puts lead in your pencil.

3. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its called a Spirolox retaining ring made by Smalley.The other side has the taper end opposite the end shown so you can install a small screwdriver or such under it and lift and "unscrew" it from the groove.
    I just noticed the shoulder on the opposite side, so the ring was installed backwards for easy removal ,redardless it looks as if it was used as a shim since it would be pointless to install any kind lock ring against a shoulder, doesn't appear the shaft has a groove for the ring .
    Last edited by ratbldr427; 08-17-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add more info

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think its a spirolox as they usually go around more than once, used in piston gudgeon pin holes.

I have a tool that does snap rings it has a knurl pattern on the outside of the jaws and the jaws open outwards as you squeeze the handle.

img_3165.jpg

Usually the ring is closer together on the ends and also the ends are cut on a angle.
    so i think the ring fitted is fitted to the wrong shaft size because of that end gap being so large.

The place i worked at that used them a lot was twin disc transmissions.

The tool makes it easy to fit and remove them.

I can just make out made in USA on the tool but cannot make out the name of maker they have had some use and cannot read it, i think it reads tows usa but it is hard to read its in acid etch.

here is a place that makes the external rings. page 31

https://www.arconring.com/wp-content...concatalog.pdf

On page 7 of the catalogue they list tools they supply they are different maker to the tool i have but are suited to ring displayed with them they show the style twin disc uses.

so you can get a tool from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll register an opinion that it does look like a groove for the ring to keep the second piece in position. Then there's a smaller diameter forward with a third diameter at the splines.

All that irrelevant in terms of the OP's original query. The clip pushes off sideways and the clearance in the recess allows installation and removal. There might be a specific tool for this type though I usually take a screwdriver and tap one end. If it's inclined to just rotate around rather than push off it might take two screwdrivers and three hands.

7. Likes JohnEvans, Paolo_MD liked this post