What's new
What's new

Clausing 5419 Only Works In Back Gear

mattfaisetty

Plastic
Hope this is the right spot to post this...

I’ve acquired a Clausing 5419 lathe and go only get the spindle turning in back gear. Figured I’d see if I was missing something simple before ripping all the covers off. Thanks!

Push in the round button on the left end of spindle ,rotate spindle until it drops in . Call Clausing with serial # and they will send you a PDF manual for your lathe FREE!! Take it out of back gear first.

Push in the round button on the left end of spindle ,rotate spindle until it drops in . Call Clausing with serial # and they will send you a PDF manual for your lathe FREE!! Take it out of back gear first.

Thanks John,

I’ll call them on Monday, great advice! Still can’t seem to find this round button though... any pointers?

825e54ced0801b6074a366ce09ed3ae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still can’t seem to find this round button though...
South Bents, Logans, others, the button or plunger is IN the disk of the bull gear.
Pushed-in, locks it to the step-pulley stack.

If back gears are still engaged? Acts as a "weakish" form of spindle lock and one easily damaged.

Pin OUT the step-pulley stack drives the input to the back gear set off their arse-end, small gear. Back gear shaft carries that rotation to the bull gear, delivers the reduction at the front end into the bull gear.

Bull gear is always locked to the spindle, step pulleys and back gears not.

Go PLAY WITH IT. Should become as OBVIOUS as the difference between walking to work or flying in astride whichever dragon is already saddled-up.

First off sure looks like you have a "5914" lathe !!! Have the same sitting in my shop. I see you have lever collet closer . Look on the face of that aluminum hand wheel for lock "Button'. I will add a picture in a minute. First rotate BG knob CW then rotate spindle while pushing in on butto n until it engages .

Attachments

• button 001.jpg
    button 001.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 42
Thermite : Clausing's march to a different drummer in many respects compaired to other small lathes.

LOL! I could class that an "understatement"?

Ergo I DID qualify that with other brands as the core concept.

AND say "go play with it". For a reason.

Could was the bugger is 100% geared-head for all I know - or ever care to know - about Clausing pups.

But if yah cannot just "figure it out"?

Best yah learn THAT skill, and EARLY ON! Situational awareness is crucial.

First off sure looks like you have a "5914" lathe !!! Have the same sitting in my shop. I see you have lever collet closer . Look on the face of that aluminum hand wheel for lock "Button'. I will add a picture in a minute. First rotate BG knob CW then rotate spindle while pushing in on butto n until it engages .

That was it John thank you!!! I had that pressed in last night but it was still in back gear so no spindle power. Worked great today!!! Now to fix the variable speed...

Thermite I only had about two hours into it last night and wanted to hear some that’s insight. Now that it’s running I’ll have plenty more time to play with it :)

Thermite I only had about two hours into it last night and wanted to hear some that’s insight. Now that it’s running I’ll have plenty more time to play with it :)

Two hours from a cold start ain't half bad!

Sure spent a lot more time and money with them guys who offered to teach me how to play "poker" and never quite got the hang of it.

Traded the lot of 'em for female instructors who didn't need no "cards".

THEN it worked!

:D

Back